question about seating dies

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

upsdood

question about seating dies

Post by upsdood »

i’m going to start loading for plinking/training, and will ise these projectiles:
https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/bp-30 ... 150gr-rnfp
my question is, do i still use a 300 blk seating die, since the bullet is a different shape from the pointed bullets?
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: question about seating dies

Post by blaster »

it will work fine. I've loaded just about every shaped .308 bullet out there with the same seating die for my 300 BLK loads. including the bullet you plan to use.
peace through superior firepower
upsdood

Post by upsdood »

sweet thanks :)
exexex

Post by exexex »

I've loaded some Berry's, though not those. A couple of things:
Depending on the seating die used, you MIGHT get a circular ring impression on the nose of the round. I've heard that it does not effect the accuracy, and I've not seen any difference: YMMV.

If the ring happens and you want to get rid of it, you might lubricate the inside of the case neck a little to make less pressure on the bullet which might stop the ring from forming during the seating process. Use a lubricant that won't contaminate powder. They make special mica lube (I've never used) and something like Hornady Case lube would work (but pretty expensive stuff).

If I get this with some bullets, I just run a case neck lube brush which has only a very, very small amount of case sizing lube on it and have had no problems.