Sighting a scope in for subs and supers?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Saxon
Silent Operator

Re: Sighting a scope in for subs and supers?

Post by Saxon »

i have the nikon P-300 2-7x32 super sub scope

16" barrel carbine gas

zero is hornady black 110 vmax 100 yards
all others i go on line where you can put it your load and it shows the scope on
2 through 7 magnification and the bullet drop on each site graduation, i then copy that down on a 3x5 and what ever i shoot i adjust the turret X amount of clicks to a 100 yard zero.
I.E.
zero is hornady black 110 vmax 100 yards turrets set to 0
185 grain Alexander rainier arms nightmare fmj or hp bullet up 14 clicks to 100 yard zero
and 3x5 has the graduation for each line.

jareed58

Post by jareed58 »

Cant wait til this social distancing is over so I can do a little experimenting and find witch method works best for me.
jareed58

Post by jareed58 »

Supers, I'll be loading Barnes 110 Blacktips, and subs going with Hornady 190 Sub-X.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

You have just opened Pandora’s box in asking this question!
IME I have not found a bdc reticle that will align perfectly with every bullet weight, every bc out of every barrel length at varying velocities over vast distances in any cartridge. Everything is a compromise. If you want precision, put all of your loads on paper at all the distances you expect to use them and record the dope. If you only desire “minute of man” accuracy then average the dope of say 3-5 of your loads encompassing the worst, best and mediocre loads and set your reticle to best average them out.

If care to have me elaborate, I may have a spreadsheet or two to illustrate my point.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
jareed58

Post by jareed58 »

Mostly, be using it for hunting. I like to be accurate, but there is no need to be within 1/2" at 100 yds. If I know I am dead on with the 110 blacktips at a 100yds and a set number of clicks brings the subs to 1" high or low at 100yds, that will be awesome. Has anyone tweeked the powder charge to bring a certain bullet into dead on?
Saxon
Silent Operator

Post by Saxon »

jareed58 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:48 pm Mostly, be using it for hunting. I like to be accurate, but there is no need to be within 1/2" at 100 yds. If I know I am dead on with the 110 blacktips at a 100yds and a set number of clicks brings the subs to 1" high or low at 100yds, that will be awesome. Has anyone tweeked the powder charge to bring a certain bullet into dead on?
yes 110 sierra hp loaded for same POI as
hornady black 110 vmax
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

I use an ATN X-Sight II 3-14, two profiles set up. One for supers with 100yrd zero and one for subs with a 50 yrd zero. Any need for ranging I use the optics ballistic program for range and environment adjustments. 200yrd gong hits with subs are just a touch of a button....... Ppffff....gong...... repeat.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

I have the same scope as Saxon, and have helped other friends set up their guns that bought the same scope too. I found that it was possible with supers to zero at 100 and then find that the subs would be landing on either the second circle down or the notch above it, depending on the load. So far I'm been lucky and have not noticed any significant windage shift between different loads. Mine's a pistol build 10.5-in PSA barrel. The other rifle we were testing the stuff with last time out was a newly manufactured Ruger American 16-in.

By the way we were not impressed with the build quality on the Ruger American. They cut the bolt face to larger diameter so that the extractor just pushes the cartridge off to the side rather than hooks on it. The I release button was half covered by the stock, because they didn't bother to clearance it when putting in an adapter for AR mags at the factory. The AR mag wobbles a lot and there is room behind the magazine for the empty brass to get stuck in between the back of the magazine and the bolt face. It really stinks of a product half developed before release to market. Shot really accurately despite all that nonsense though.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

So the RAR does not extract the case? Or doesn’t hold it long enough to eject?
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Some of both. Mostly not extracting. We took the bolt out and snapped both 223 and factory 300 blackout brass into it and you could swap it by eye about a 16th and inch out from under the extractor to where it wasn't even catching the rim at all.

My first thought was that the extractor either but didn't hook enough or had something wrong with the spring or piece of nail slag interfering with its full range of travel. But I wiggled the case perpendicular to the direction of the extractor's motion and there was a surprising amount of play in that direction so absent taking more definitive measurements my conclusion is that the recess in the face of the bolt is too large diameter. thinking about it I almost wonder if they included a bolt intended for 762x39.