Sighting a scope in for subs and supers?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jareed58

Sighting a scope in for subs and supers?

Post by jareed58 »

For those of you that shoot both subs and supers. Do you have 2 separate firearms and scopes or do you use one set up, and just know which point on the reticle is subs and which is super sonics? I have not been able to fire mine yet because of this social distancing.
Blackout_Yeti

Re: Sighting a scope in for subs and supers?

Post by Blackout_Yeti »

Don't have a scope on mine yet, but planning to buy a scope that is built specifically for the .300blk platform, whose ability to shoot both supers and subs creates some problems optics-wise (i.e., having two different zeros/drop tables). What I'll probably end up purchasing is something along the lines of the following sights, one that allows for shooting both supersonics and subsonics without changing zero: Interested to see what others have to say on the topic.
RKB731

Post by RKB731 »

I run a 16” barrel upper for supers with a 3x10 scope.
I have a 10.5” barrel upper for subs wearing a Nikon 3x scope.
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

anymore, I mostly shoot the subs out of the 9" bbl. pistol and supers out of the 16" bbl. carbines.
peace through superior firepower
jareed58

Post by jareed58 »

I like the idea of another firearm for supers. Is there a reason most I have read seams that people jump from 9"ish for subs all the way to 16" for supers.
I like short, and after an 8" suppressor you out above 20". 12" sounds sweet, but not many choices in that length.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I have several 300 BLK firearms. It would make sense to dedicate one each to subs and supers, but I like to make things difficult. :P

To me it's easiest to use exposed turrets, sight in for supers at 100, and then learn the come-up for subs at various ranges by actual shooting. In general, up 2 mils for subs at 50, 3 mils at 75 and 4 at 100.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

On my suppressed Leonidas AR, I set the red dot for supers at 50 yds and the iron sights for subs at 50 yds. On my RARR, I zero at 100 yds for supers and calculated, then verified the clicks for subs as well as other ranges for supers. The super calculations were pretty near spot on, but the subsonic calculations were pretty far off at 200 yds. Then I printed those out and taped it to the stock.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
oodnoodn

Post by oodnoodn »

On my "accurate" carbine length 300BLKs, the scope turrets are set to 0/0 for a 100yd supersonic zero. 50yd subsonic zero is at "8" on the elev turret, which is up 8 moa I guess. I have supersonic and subsonic BDC charts taped to the stock (or laminated & hanging off the scope mount on the AR). Probably sounds complicated, but it works real well for me.

As for the pistol with a red dot, red dot is set for 100yd super zero which also works fine for subs at 50yds. I'm happy with that & haven't bothered to figure out why no 8 moa delta.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

oodnoodn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:25 pm On my "accurate" carbine length 300BLKs, the scope turrets are set to 0/0 for a 100yd supersonic zero. 50yd subsonic zero is at "8" on the elev turret, which is up 8 moa I guess.
Interesting. My rifle is zeroed at 100 for supers, and 200 yd zero is 1 mil up. The 200 yd zero for subsonic is ~7.5 mils up.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Ben B. wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:16 pm
oodnoodn wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:25 pm On my "accurate" carbine length 300BLKs, the scope turrets are set to 0/0 for a 100yd supersonic zero. 50yd subsonic zero is at "8" on the elev turret, which is up 8 moa I guess.
Interesting. My rifle is zeroed at 100 for supers, and 200 yd zero is 1 mil up. The 200 yd zero for subsonic is ~7.5 mils up.

With subs, bullet choice/BC will make a huge difference in adjustment past 50 yards. That’s an inherent challenge shooting subs. Changing 220 grain bullets can mean a difference of up to a foot of drop from 50-200 yards.

Then there is drift....
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.