Hornady 190 gr Sub-X load data

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 190 gr Sub-X load data

Post by Ben B. »

scottyfz6 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:29 am Ben try 9.7 grains of the 4227, Its giving me around 1080 or so on my 8.2 barrel. 10 is running close to 1200
Hell, I dunno. 10.0 gr was still too slow for both rifles. I usually find my loads perform in the neighborhood of others reports, but not with this bullet/powder combo. I loaded some with 10.5 gr and I’m anticipating being around 1050. Hope the variance in speed tightens up, and haven’t put them on paper yet.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

While waiting for sub-x bullets to arrive I measured a factory case at 1.359" my converted brass is 1.3655". Seating the bullet to the sweet spot ogive for this barrel is 2.090" C.O.L. that sets the crimp groove at the top of the case neck. I will start with N120 and CFE Blk since I haven proven target loads with the 180 wedge bullet. Also after talking with HSN ammunition I will use Rem 7-1/2 primers for all testing. I'll chrono the loads and list the results along with group size.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Bob, looking forward to your results. I have used both powders in small test samples, just did not get back to the N120. Seems I got bogged down in some rabbit trail stuff and managed to accomplish little. Hope this finds you well and avoiding the spread of the current virus.
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I don't have a chronograph so I can't measure velocity, but 9.7 grains of 4227 didn't load another round in my 10.5" 300 BLK pistol.
If I put my suppressor on it very well may cycle properly. I was out hunting on a friend's property and only had a couple of minutes to shoot off a few rounds before we got busy.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Getting close to a good load with N120. I will say this is a clean burning powder for subs, after 30 rounds I don't have unburnt powder all over the magazine. What I find most annoying is when a C.O.L. is listed with the sub-x bullet as tip to base is a subjective measurement, it's that soft tip insert that prevents a solid measurement. With that said a factory round measures 2.563" ogive to case base and all tools for an ogive measurement will vary so when I list a C.O.L. for the sub-x bullet I will subtract the ogive tool height and list a "ogive to base" number you can determine with your set-up.

Saturday morning was 27 degrees so the chrono was spitting out some strange numbers and then the battery died :oops: group size printed at 1/4" for two shots with the third opening things up to 3/4". I am a few grains from the sweet spot and about two thousands seating depth from a nice one hole group!

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Sunday afternoon at the bench finally produced a group that shows promise. I have kept using Remington 7-1/2 primers with all loads and switched to CCI 400 to see any change, yup velocities increased and vertical stringing with groups. Setteling on 11.6 grains of N120 printed a nice 1/2" group, this will need further tuning as a three shot one time group will need to be checked for consistancy. All testing is at 50 yards and 100 yards is my next trip out to the range, 1050fps was the average with the pictured group and thats well below what Quick Load shows. N120 is clean burning with very minimal powder blown back through the gas system, BHO every round and smooth feeding with the P-mag. I load up three rounds and let them feed and cycle, I have found this bullet likes a good size jump to lands and a hard crimp. I will list load specs once I am happy with 100 yard results.

50 yards N120 - Hornady Sub-x 190 grain

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Bob the nailer wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:59 am Sunday afternoon at the bench finally produced a group that shows promise. I have kept using Remington 7-1/2 primers with all loads and switched to CCI 400 to see any change, yup velocities increased and vertical stringing with groups. Setteling on 11.6 grains of N120 printed a nice 1/2" group, this will need further tuning as a three shot one time group will need to be checked for consistancy. All testing is at 50 yards and 100 yards is my next trip out to the range, 1050fps was the average with the pictured group and thats well below what Quick Load shows. N120 is clean burning with very minimal powder blown back through the gas system, BHO every round and smooth feeding with the P-mag. I load up three rounds and let them feed and cycle, I have found this bullet likes a good size jump to lands and a hard crimp. I will list load specs once I am happy with 100 yard results.

50 yards N120 - Hornady Sub-x 190 grain
Couple questions.

You tried CCI 400, had more vertical stringing and are back to 7 1/2?

Base to Ogive is 1.563", not 2.563"?

Are you still using a Collet die, if yes have you tried a smaller mandrel instead of more crimp?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
scottyfz6

Post by scottyfz6 »

I ran 3 more across the chrony and got 1052, 1040 1046.

Btw I use cci 400 primers. Still at 9.7 grains 8.3 barrel, got lock back on the last round. I have drilled the gas port out to .109 iirc.

I had it at the rage last week no issues with super ammo.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

scottyfz6 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 pm I ran 3 more across the chrony and got 1052, 1040 1046.

Btw I use cci 400 primers. Still at 9.7 grains 8.3 barrel, got lock back on the last round. I have drilled the gas port out to .109 iirc.

I had it at the rage last week no issues with super ammo.
When I used up the S&B SR primers I’d been using and did more test loads with Win SRP, my velocities jumped from 1020s into 1100s. I have some new test loads with Win SRP with 10.0 gr IMR422, waiting for free range time.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

The 11.6grain N120 load shot good at 50 yards then at 100 yards it started to open up. I decided to test adding 1/10 grain more with N120, loads were 11.7, 11.8, 11.9 and 12grains. I kept the ogive to base measurement at 1.543" ( my compairator measures 0.999" so lets go with 1.00". Thats where the 2.543" measurment came from). I trim all my cases to 1.365" and use a Lee collet neck die as a final step (mandrel was turned down when I was working with the wedge 180 sub loads and I would need to mic it to see what it was turned down to). For crimp I use a hard crimp as I load the magazine and let em strip and load, lighter crimps always show bullet midigation when checked. Don't know if it matters by these Lake City converts have only been loaded for subs, when CCI400 primers were used all I can say is higher velocity and vertical strings is what I recorded.

This is a test group at 50yards with Rem 7-1/2 bench rest primers, N120 @ 11.9 grains, AR15 fed from the mag
Hornady sub-x 190 grain bullet

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com