Chrono Opinions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Chrono Opinions

Post by gomeybear »

Hope all is well, Gents. Chrono research has begun for me; hard to find good info on chronos that aren’t the Labradar or Magnetospeed. Lots of folks seem to like the Labradar and Magnetospeed v3, but they’re pricey for sure.

Can y’all recommend another good one to look into? Been looking at the Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX, but not sure if the $100 ramge chronos just set a lower expectation and people are happy with them in that relative sort of sense when we pay less for something that we end up being surprised by its performance to cost ratio.... Are Labradars and Magnetospeeds that much better? I see people report several problems with the Labradars and Magnetospeeds too, which at their price point is unacceptable imo.
Roachclass

Re: Chrono Opinions

Post by Roachclass »

I use an old competition that my dad bought years ago. Works fine for me but I don't have experience with anything else to compare it to. I've seen guys at the range using the magneto that clips on the barrel and I can see how it would be more convenient. If there are other people shooting next to me I will have to wait till they are done so I can step out to reset the chrono for the next string.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

The Pro Chrono will give you everything you need. I have a LabRadar, I don't recommend for someone's first chrono. All chronographs have advantages and drawbacks but at 100 bucks, the Pro is a decent value.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

I've gone through the three types of chronographs in my relatively short reloading career. Started with a Caldwell optical light chronograph, then bought a magnetospeed, and the ultimately ended up with a labradar.

Like rebel said, they all have pros and cons but I'd have saved myself a chunk of money if I had just went straight to the labradar. For me, and your mileage my very well differ, it does what I want the best.
SIMJOSH1
Silent Operator

Post by SIMJOSH1 »

I really liked my ProChrono DLX - App was super convenient and allows you to label each string.. Made keeping track of data AT the range so much easier.

My issues (which by all means could be user error!) was that I had to set up at noon in the middle of a field. So I got crazy reflection readings.
Blackout supers ranging from 1500fps to 3400 fps. Then I had to get poster board screens along the side of the sunshade poles.. That helped some, but ended up having to go with a full blown coffin - indoor light kit - (2) 12v batteries for the 24v power source.
Then I had to get a better base because the coffin wasn't going to be stable on the tripod - (couldn't run prone where I was)

Ran like that for 6-8 months. Worked flawlessly - but the entire rear of the SUV was dedicated to chronograph setup... Got to be too cumbersome.

If I was one of those lucky chaps that can shoot off their back porch.. I'd have stayed with the prochrono!

Only reason I went Labradar was convenience - Super simple to set up takes 2 minutes to place on tripod - aim - small footprint to pack up ETC.
- Don't regret the expense by any means but that money could have been spent else where.

GL on the decision!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

For when you shoot your Pro-Chrono, and you will.
Repair Price Guarantee

Competition Electronics will recondition to working order any product returned to us regardless of condition for no more than ½ current retail price (plus shipping) if it is still part of our current product line.
That is based on suggested retail, still about 25% off the best deal new depending on shipping.

They are a good solid machine. Don’t cheap out on the try pod. Plenty of tips that help the bright sun issue such as extending the shades.

The cost of a Labradar if you don’t use it regularly is probably not worth it. If you find you like it and want to use it for other things like archery or air guns, you need microphones that cost about half the cost of a Prochrono each.

I have both and use both, sometimes at the same time.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I have a alpha chrono, I have had for years. So far I have not shot it. But if I do. I will give it a proper funeral :lol:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I killed my first Chrony Beta, being in a hurry didn't go well. I use a Beta Master now, with blue tape on the screen rods to denote the sweet spot and aiming alignment. The Caldwell IR light kit works very well on this unit with errors almost entirely gone. Once I have the velocity data, all that is verified with drops and some trigger time. It works...and I have a Beta handy as a backup :roll:
gomeybear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gomeybear »

Just for some knowledge here, the competition series of chronos and others for that matter, you have to shoot through v shaped uprights, correct? They use distortion of light to measure velocity it sounds like?
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

My Chrony gets enough use to justify the approx $100 I paid for it and has served me well. I thought about moving up but could not justify the expense knowing the frequency of use would probably not change. I may upgrade to another Chrony with more features, maybe not.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel