Ruger American Ranch 300BLK - Magazine options?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bdill
Silent Operator

Re: Ruger American Ranch 300BLK - Magazine options?

Post by bdill »

If someone has the RARR that accepts the pmags, could you please remove the stock and take pictures of the bottom of the action and possibly some measurements of the action screws? I’m willing to modify my action if it’s possible to accept the pmags.
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

I have both stocks if it would still be helpful let me know.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I have seen this come up and the answer seems to be no, it won't work. The bolt on the Pmag version has a different slot, then there is the mag release being completely different. When I asked Ruger this question before the P mag version was in the stores, they told nope, not gonna work. I looked at both setups, can't see it happening, though on one thread a guy seemed to find a way. I think buying the newer version and selling the other makes sense. If this is not right correct me gently.... 8)
Redmt

Post by Redmt »

I just got my RAR Saturday. I wish it was the old style. The new style with the AR type mags is sloppy. The cartridges hit below the feed ramp. Ruger is sending a new magazine well as that could be the problem I hope. The Pmag that came with it doesn't fit any better or worse than some others I have. An ATC all metal magazine fits a lot tighter but the cartridges still hit the ramp pretty steep if not holding the magazine up.
Never pass up the opportunity to learn something!
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

In my RARR 350... I modified a Mag pull Mag to "fit the ammo". (Basically remove ribs on sides. 350 is worse then the 300 in that regard)

No matter what I did I had problems. Factory mag was fine. I wanted 10 rnds. (If I had to use that much space it was gonna hold 10!)

I sae some AMEND2 kaki color mags and bought two. Ground out the ribs. Smoothed it up nicely. BINGO. PERFECT feeding with all rounds!!

Couple things come to Mind.

1). Check mag well. Is action down in stock correctly? Is the mag well properly fitting? How does the mag release
Look? (Its same As a AR)

Do you have buddies with other brand mags ya can try?? Im really leaning more to mag problem. Nose dive is generally spring and or follower. (Mag pull is usually real good)

I have a older Mossberg MVP 223 and they are hit or miss with magpul. (Usually more miss). Mine is 100% with magpul. But the system is finiky. The bolt has a lil flipper hanging down to strip cases out of mag and if not in perfect
Position. Or ya sit/rest on the mag, it will bauble.

Good luck

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Redmt

Post by Redmt »

I had tried a couple different mags, P-Mag ATC Mag-Pull. They are all sloppy as can be. The all metal ATC was the tightest fit but still not acceptable. I sent Ruger CS an email telling them of the issue following up on the call I had made to them. Their reply email was surprising that My rifle was probably the only one that had ever had a problem, but that I could BUY a conversion mag well and install it myself for only $25.99. I called again and told them that I didn't think it fair that I should have to buy something to cure a factory problem. They said to send it in and they would "look at it" and that the fix has been to install the AI style flush fit mag well. It was interesting to hear that they have a cure for a problem they don't have.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Dont take this wrong.

But AS I READ your post it appears that the "problem" may just be that the mag is looser than you prefer.

The AR style magazine IS REQUIRED to move a little to facilitate proper and consistent function. Should you make it ridged it likely would not feed consistently.

IMHO, Ruger appeased a customer more then they fixed a non existent problem. KUDOS TO RUGER.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Redmt

Post by Redmt »

HAH! No I don't take it wrong. First I have to say that my descriptive writing skills suck. Maybe some clarification on the problem. With the plastic magazines they sit so low in the well that the cartridge actually hits about 1/4-3/8" BELOW the feed ramp. They run into a flat wall so to speak unless you hold the magazine up into place. The mag actually rattles very noisily in the well. I've never had a rifle rattle before. The metal atc mags fit up much tighter but still it's dicey as to whether it will hit the ramp or the bullet tipp hangs below the ramp.
SO!! Ruger didn't do anything to appease the customer. Nada, zilch, zip,, nothing. What they did do was finally admit that there was a fix and SELL me a new mag well for the AI style magazines. As an aside, I have 5 other Ruger rifles and a couple of pistols. Their customer service when needed has never been anything but top notch. Ruger is my "go to" brand. I love 'em. This time not so much.
Redmt

Post by Redmt »

A quick follow up,,, I received the "adapter" magazine well for the AI style mags and the gun feeds beautifully. Barrel breakin completed and load development is going OK. I'll start a new thread on that.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

Do you have a part number for that adapter? I would like to pick one up for my 300 blackout ranch rifle.
NRA Life member