Looking for some bad brass

You can only post guns and ammo for sale or links to guns and ammo here, in the new products / good deals area, or in a dealer/manufacturer area.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, tba02

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Looking for some bad brass

Post by bangbangping »

I'd like to buy some 223/5.56 brass that's on the bad brass list: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=88599 If you have converted a piece and verified the necks are at least .014" or thicker, so much the better. I'm looking for at least 100 pieces....250 or so would be better.

Thanks!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for some bad brass

Post by dellet »

You can also get a thicker neck with either 204 Ruger or 222 Magnum. I don't know if it will be .014" tho.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

So, what are you working on?

I loaded up some thicker neck brass to test but haven't really felt like testing. My thought is with a thicker neck it will hold the neck, and thus the bullet, closer to the centerline of the bore.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:58 pm So, what are you working on?

I loaded up some thicker neck brass to test but haven't really felt like testing. My thought is with a thicker neck it will hold the neck, and thus the bullet, closer to the centerline of the bore.
Exactly. Working on the lead ring issue in a CVA pistol. I figure if I center the bullet it's less likely to scrape the throat entrance. Cases are currently as long as I'm comfortable with, fire lapped which did precisely jack squat, thought I'd give this a try.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

You might be fighting a design flaw in the chamber for cast bullets.

The transition from the neck portion of the chamber to freebore is pretty steep. It goes from .335” to .309” at a 45 degree angle. And that is the other problem for cast bullets, anything that is over .309” gets shaved off. Seems like there were a fair amount of problems early on with copper rings from jacketed bullets also.

Since the fire lapping didn’t work, it might be time to check into a throat reamer that will lessen the angle there and maybe into the lands also. Both ends of the freebore.

Keeping the case centered sure won’t hurt.

Something else you can try, since it’s a single shot is not removing the bell that you put on the neck. This will help center the neck and hold it in place and the other thing it will do is form a better seal, faster, to keep gasses from blowing back past neck. You will already have the neck expanded against the chamber.
skydiver41
Silent Operator

Post by skydiver41 »

I have a lot of PMC brass. I see on the list that the new headstamp is good and the old headstamp is bad (too thick). What is the difference in the headstamp (old vs new)? Is it a "Font size" for lack of better term?

Let me know and I will get some of the old headstamp stuff that's on the bad list for you.

Mike
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

skydiver41 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 am I have a lot of PMC brass. I see on the list that the new headstamp is good and the old headstamp is bad (too thick). What is the difference in the headstamp (old vs new)? Is it a "Font size" for lack of better term?

Let me know and I will get some of the old headstamp stuff that's on the bad list for you.

Mike
I have no idea. Anyone?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Small pmc is thicker than big PMC.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Well, I think I see part of the reason why this CVA pistol likes to make lead rings. Throat is an RCH over .310". What surprised me is the neck length. The brass in the pic is timmed to 1.362". It's tough to measure the distance exactly given the 45° angle, but I believe I could get away with trimming to 1.385", maybe even 1.390".

Skydiver, if you have some brass you think is the "small" pmc I'd be happy to buy some.

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Couldn’t find a decent Whisper reamer print, but most likely that’s what they used. Drawing in the Hornady 9th does not have the details, but that’s what they used and had to edit.