Finally went suppressed.....and the hogs don't like it!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hogcaller
Silent Operator

Finally went suppressed.....and the hogs don't like it!

Post by hogcaller »

Last week all my paperwork went through and I was able to pick up my YHM Resonator K! Why didn't I do this a long time ago??? lol First stalk on a group of 7 hogs and I killed 4 of them. After the first shot they ran right at me and made the shots pretty easy on the other 3. The 5th, 6th, and 7th hogs in the pics were lone boars that I stalked up on. I am up to 23 hogs in 2020. The load I used will be controversial because it isn't a "hunting" bullet (I had 500 on hand), but for anybody that wants to know, I used a 210 gr Berger VLD, A1680 powder, and reformed mixed 223 brass. Velocity out of the 16" barrel was 1,203 fps. 4 of the 6 shots were head shots, other 2 were body shots.....all complete pass throughs and judging by the exit on the body shots, that bullet was tumbling. Only 1 required another shot from my sidearm. Biggest was a 265 lb boar and the smallest was a 140 lb gilt.

"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Re: Finally went suppressed.....and the hogs don't like it!

Post by hogcaller »

"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Can't be done that way once. You think I'm going to believe you killed 20-30 with the

Wrong bullet.

Wrong velocity

Wrong cartridge

You expect me to believe that shot placement is important?

In all seriousness looks like good hard work went into the success. For what it's worth, the Berger hunting line was basically developed out of the match bullets. The thin jackets just don't really hold upon impact. Probably the first choice for everyone as a hunting bullet, but real hard to argue with your results.

Thanks showing what can be done in capable hands
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
skydiver41
Silent Operator

Post by skydiver41 »

Wow! Thanks for sharing the results and the details. How much 1680 did you use to push the 210s to your stated velocity?
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

skydiver41 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:54 pm Wow! Thanks for sharing the results and the details. How much 1680 did you use to push the 210s to your stated velocity?
14 grains
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

good shooting! 8)
peace through superior firepower
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Nice
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Nice job!
May I ask what scope you are using?
warthog97
Silent Operator

Post by warthog97 »

Great post! Thanks for the info on the VLD, I would have assumed that the thinner jackets would have deformed/mushroomed more. As always, shot placement and penetration seems to win the day!

Just curious, why did you settle on a supersonic load with that bullet weight? I'm not suggesting you go and mess with success mind you, it just strikes me as interesting that you didn't keep it subsonic.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

Freedom1973 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:55 pm Nice job!
May I ask what scope you are using?
ATN Thor LT 4-8x