I have a confession!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

I have a confession!

Post by gds »

:shock:
Earlier this past year. Hunting season snuck up on me. Work had been keeping me busy, and I just missed it was coming up. In the meantime I had not cast any bullets and for some reason, I was having really bad luck getting my usual cast hunting load to work. For some reason, my accuracy went to garbage. This later improved, so I am not sure what my problem was.

When I realized it, it was only 2 days till the first day of rifle season. I had some of Maker 200gr REX 2 bullets. I had used on last season, but was not happy with the results and had intended on reworking the load. It was not the bullet it was the powder load. With my work schedule, I really did not have time to do a proper work up. I even called rebel asking for some load data I had seen him post at one point.

In a complete panic, I stopped at Academy Sports and they had the Hornady 190gr Sub X loaded ammo. :shock:

I...really was desperate...you have to understand the position I was in.... I needed a backup solution. I mean I could double check zero with less than 6 rounds and less than 3 rounds would not be unheard of. You really have to understand I was in complete panic mode. :cry: If I could not get a good load up fast...I had to have something.. :oops:

Well.....I ....... did what I never thought I would. :oops:

I....Gary Stinnett....for the first time ever.....bought factory....300blk ammunition. :cry: :oops:

Thankfully I was able to get a load up quickly for both my Model 7 and my AR15.

But I just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now. 8)
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: I have a confession!

Post by rebel »

Oh thank God! I thought you were going to say you bought a 6.5 Creedmoor. :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Welcome to the unwashed throng of factory ammo buyers. Rest assured that we are a diversity-loving crowd and readily welcome repentant hand loaders, or even those who are not yet repentant but are testing the waters!

Seriously though, shoot the 190s and let us know what you think of them. I’ve found them quite accurate through my Ruger bolt gun and my short ARs. I’ve not shot any deer with them yet, I do that with supers, but they seem to be top notch for me so far.

Cheers!
Blog
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

rebel wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:03 am Oh thank God! I thought you were going to say you bought a 6.5 Creedmoor. :mrgreen:
I thought the worst. 6.8SPC. Gasp!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Gary....hey Gary......you haven't bought a Creedmoor have you?
Please say it ain't so.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

No, I definitely have not bought a creedmore.

However...in the interest of full disclosure..... I have considered, BUT NOT PURCHASED, a 6.8spc. :oops:

I have been fighting that urge. I built a 7.62x39 AR15, and an AR9 in order to hopefully draw me from the 6.8SPC. I may have to go up to a .308 AR in order to stave off the urge.

I am trying to be strong. But it is difficult.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

gds wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:08 pm No, I definitely have not bought a creedmore.

However...in the interest of full disclosure..... I have considered, BUT NOT PURCHASED, a 6.8spc. :oops:

I have been fighting that urge. I built a 7.62x39 AR15, and an AR9 in order to hopefully draw me from the 6.8SPC. I may have to go up to a .308 AR in order to stave off the urge.

I am trying to be strong. But it is difficult.
We are praying for you to stay strong.

As for me. I toyed with building a 6.5 Grendel, but built a 350 Legend instead. What I really need, though, is a 6.5 PRC....
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Fess up sinner how did the sub-x shoot?
Need to warm up this 8" pistol. Just off the bench and starting to do load development for the Ballistic Advantage barrel.

Sub-X ammo used for photo purposes only NO cases were harmed in this photo session :mrgreen:
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Bob the nailer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:58 pm Fess up sinner how did the sub-x shoot?
Need to warm up this 8" pistol. Just off the bench and starting to do load development for the Ballistic Advantage barrel.

Sub-X ammo used for photo purposes only NO cases were harmed in this photo session :mrgreen:
They actually grouped pretty well. Good enough to where I would have used them if I had not been able to work up a load.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:03 am Oh thank God! I thought you were going to say you bought a 6.5 Creedmoor. :mrgreen:
Nothing wrong with the Creedmoor. The Swedes have been using it successfully for well over a century. :P