Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by rebel »

That's a fine looking rifle.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
P1ZombieKiller

Post by P1ZombieKiller »

@rebel thanks. I sure wished I wouldn't have jumped the gun (pun intended) and got a good stock before hydro dipping. but... you get a new toy and you have extra cash in your pocket, and you turn into a 7 year old in a candy store.

@dellet the first cold shot bore was still in play. I wasn't even worried about the cold bore shot as I left the house at 3:00 for a 30 min drive to the gun club, and I knew I wasn't going to have time to do anything buy shoot since the range closes at 15 mins before sundown.

The only time I let the barrel cool down is when the range was turned cold, so guys could go down and pull targets (or when the douchebag would come over and start talking shit about why would anyone even want a 300 BO. I did a pretty good job of biting my tongue). I figured I would just get the load that shot the best, and "FACTOR" in the first cold bore shot when hunting. 1" low shouldn't be a factor since this will be a deer/pig hunting rifle with 200 - 250 max shots.

Accuracy is not a gift. A gift is something you don't have to earn.
www.P1ZK.com
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

A few things I have used to minimize verticle stringing at longer distances.

Standard SRP instead of magnum. I only switch to mags when pockets become too loose.
More powder.....need a long drop tube.
Work up a load with the lowest es/sd at the highest safe velocity.
Bullet runout .0015 or less.

Use wind flags. You can make 1/2 doz cheap with arrow shafts, wire coat hanger and survayer tape.
Set them out at 25yds incriminates from your bench. Wind deflection will be greatest in the first 100 yds.

Good luck.
P1ZombieKiller

Post by P1ZombieKiller »

Got a chance this weekend to use this bullet on a doe.
125 yards. Perfect broadside shot. Missed ribs going in, and going out. Still made a nice hole on exit wound.
MV of 2100 fps

I also was able to shoot it at 300 yards. I know others have said the listed BC is not right, however for me, it has been right on track.
Here is 6 shots at 300 yards with 8.5 moa dialed into my 100 yard zero.

www.P1ZK.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Hey, looks like it work out pretty well. And good shooting to boot.

Drop is a funny thing at shorter distances. I’m at 3500’ and using a BC of 360, I get a drop of 8.9 MOA at 300 with a 100 yard zero. Changing that to default at sea level it drops to 9.4 MOA. I’m not sure I have the ability to dope less than +/-1/2 MOA consistently all things considered.

Honestly, my numbers were estimated with and then confirmed with measured drop on a different day. That alone could account for that margin of error by not entering all conditions.

The more people who document and share their actual velocity and drop, the more it will help others.

Thanks for sharing your results.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Here's hoping I get a chance to put some on paper at 300 soon. Interesting stuff.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
P1ZombieKiller

Post by P1ZombieKiller »

Thank you @dellet and @rebel for the work you have shown on this bullet. I have decided to use this as my main hunting bullet in my camo 300 BO. I will still use the 125 SST in my other Rem 700 300 BO, since it is an 18 twist barrel (and shoots that bullet at 2400 fps), the SST works VERY WELL in that rifle.
www.P1ZK.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

P1ZombieKiller wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 am Thank you @dellet and @rebel for the work you have shown on this bullet. I have decided to use this as my main hunting bullet in my camo 300 BO. I will still use the 125 SST in my other Rem 700 300 BO, since it is an 18 twist barrel (and shoots that bullet at 2400 fps), the SST works VERY WELL in that rifle.
If that is not a typo, and it truly is 1/18, would you mind trying the Speer for stability?

I think that bullet will be on the good side of marginal. The question will be how the hollow base moves the center of pressure. That’s something that is hard to find information on. It will probably lose it down range, but within a few hundred yards, I think it could work. 1/17 would probably be better for the velocity below 2500 fps. 1/16 would certainly assure max BC. as well as stability. I need a better calculator for the hollow base.
P1ZombieKiller

Post by P1ZombieKiller »

not a type-o. 1:18 twist. This particular barrel now has 4000+ rounds down the tube.
It may be a while before I get to do that. but sure.... I will do that.
www.P1ZK.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

P1ZombieKiller wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 am not a type-o. 1:18 twist. This particular barrel now has 4000+ rounds down the tube.
It may be a while before I get to do that. but sure.... I will do that.
Great help.
If I remember numbers off the top of my head, the stability factor for 1/17 was between 1.5 and 1.6. Not accounting for the hollow base at 2200 fps. Not dangerously unstable but not ideal either.