Makers 190 and CFE BLK subsonic

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Makers 190 and CFE BLK subsonic

Post by dellet »

More reverse engineering questions.

If
max length measured base to ogive 1.753.
Bullet nose length, ogive to tip is .630
OAL should be 2.383

Part of the problem is the .630 number seems to be measured at the wrong place, at.308 diameter. Should be measured at 300 diameter. Where the nose starts to transition to the bearing surface. I would expect that to make at least .850 difference. To have a max OAL of 2.145” that transition or shoulder would need to be .250+.

The bullet will start jamming/touching the bore when the diameters match. This varies with how the lead into the rifling is cut, but in general the diameter used for reference is 300”. Your 1.753” number should be at the bullets ogive, bearing surface to nose.

The bullets you have stop in the chamber with an overall length of 2.145” because of the place on the nose that is a larger diameter than 300 is hitting the rifling. Your tool should stop there also.

There a lot of ways to check where the bullet starts to jam the rifling. I simply hold the rifle muzzle up and bump the bullet down until when inserted with finger pressure, falls out under its own weight. I have plenty of ways to measure that, but that’s don’t really make sensethe simplest way for me.

It’s possible the bullet design had changed slightly and there is a longer taper than I remember. That’s the part in your photo that is mangled. I would not be able to see a couple thousandths in a photo anyway.

I know why your numbers did not make sense, and would probably be loading that bullet around 2.100”.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Makers 190 and CFE BLK subsonic

Post by dellet »

BOB567 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:07 am Wow. This all makes my head hurt. Someone was correct in that there is no published data by Maker on these bullets. I did find where someone called Hornady and received data from them on their 190 gr. Load. And there is a YouTube video of reloading the Maker 190. I did lots of cross referencing with various sources of info and started from there. Hodgson does list a 180 grain bullet (not Makers) in their online data. Couple all that with a go - logo gauge is where I came up with the length. Upon loading the chamber from the mag, the bolt closed clean. After firing the first couple rounds, prime and casting appeared normal. I'll try some testing with the bullet pushed deeper and see what happens.
Most likely your ES will drop, thats the nature of CFE.
Description
Reviews
We load the Ammo to your specific application to obtain optimal performance. Loads available for 16” gas guns, 10.5” and shorter pistol/sbr and bolt guns. Please specify in the notes section what load you would like. Not sure, give us a call

ALL AMMO MUST SHIP UPS

The Maker Overwatch Field 190gr 300 Blackout ammo utilizes the Maker Bullets 190gr 300Blk REX expanding solid copper projectile. The bullet is designed to perform optimally at 300 blackout subsonic velocities to ranges of 100 + yds with upto 3X expansion and nearly 100% weight retention.

Test Barrel: Saami/Wiseman 300blk 16" 1:8

Muzzle Velocity: 1050 fps

Muzzle Energy: 489 ft lbs

C.O.A.L.: 2.100”

Lancer or GI mags recommended
https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php ... K190REXSUB
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.