Win. 150 grain Deer Season XP Field Report

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Practical Hunter

Win. 150 grain Deer Season XP Field Report

Post by Practical Hunter »

Hi fellow hunters. I just wanted to provide a brief field report on Winchester's 150 grain Deer Season XP 300 Blk ammo. I was fortunate to kill two hogs on Friday with this ammo using a 16" upper. The results are as follows:

Hog #1 was a boar weighing over 200 lbs. I shot that hog broadside through the front shoulder at about 40 yards. He dropped in his tracks. Upon autopsy, the wound channel and internal trauma were significant. The bullet was recovered just beyond the far-side ribs, but not quite to the hide. Pieces of bullet lead and jacket were observed throughout the wound channel. The recovered bullet weighed just over 67 grains.

Hog #2 was a boar weighing about 150 lbs. He was shot on the run, broadside, through the front shoulder at about 30 yards. He did an end over end summersault and was done. This boar also had an impressive wound channel and massive internal trauma. The bullet was recovered under the hide on the off-side shoulder. The recovered bullet weighed just over 120 grains.

My initial impressions of this ammo for hunting purposes are favorable. The bullet appeared to expand rapidly at the lower velocities of the 300 Blk. I have not shot this ammo through my chrony yet, but Winchester markets it at 1,900 fps. I was getting 1" groups at 100 yards from my AR. The lack of an exit wound does not concern me given the internal damage created by this bullet with well placed shots at close ranges. I am curious how this bullet would perform on similar sized hogs at 100 yards. I'm guessing that the bullet may hold together better, perhaps penetrating as deep, but with a less impressive wound channel. I hope to find out soon and report on that as well.

I would post pics of the hogs and recovered bullets, but can't figure out how. #technicallychallenged
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Win. 150 grain Deer Season XP Field Report

Post by bangbangping »

You know, it's really a shame that none of this happened because there are no pics.
Practical Hunter

I need help figuring out how to post pics. Can you help? It may be because I'm new I don't have permission yet. As soon as I can figure it out, I'll post them.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Practical Hunter wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:46 am I need help figuring out how to post pics. Can you help? It may be because I'm new I don't have permission yet. As soon as I can figure it out, I'll post them.
Permission granted.

The process will be the same, not sure what options are out there for third party hosts now. Photos need to be hosted somewhere then linked.

viewtopic.php?t=84314
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Practical Hunter

I give up for now. I tried imgur.com and can't even find where to upload an image. Dropbox located one of my images but can't determine the size of the other (whatever that means).
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Not sure what you are doing wrong.

I went to your link, right clicked and "copy image address"

Im sure there is an easier way, but i'm not familiar with drop box.

nice hogs by the way
Practical Hunter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7uev3pwuoz41 ... a.jpg?dl=0

Here's the other one. I'm not sure why this photo is not being recognized. There's gotta be an easier way to post photos.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Practical Hunter

This is the message I keep getting:

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.