Hunting shirt and pants not made of cotton

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Airanc

Hunting shirt and pants not made of cotton

Post by Airanc »

Do they exists?

When I first started deer hunting, I quickly discovered I hated getting cold feet. I visited a store that specialized in hiking and mountain climbing, and asked to see the best pair of boots they had for warmth. I was educated on my real issue of wearing cotton socks.

Per the store owner, "cotton is refered to as death cloth by mountain climbers." It has no insulation value what so ever once it get's wet.

I've worn some form of wool socks ever since, so why is it every hunting shirt and paints made today is made of cotton.

I know you can get pants made of fleece, but what shirt options are there?

And one more. I'm looking for a wool shirt to be worn over a Merino wool base layer once the temperature finally drops around here for hiking/hunting/camping. I'd prefer a shirt with buttons and chest pockets vs a sweater. Any recommendations on what to purchase and from where?
Practical Hunter

Re: Hunting shirt and pants not made of cotton

Post by Practical Hunter »

I wear FirstLite merino wool. It is ridiculous expensive, but worth every penny to me. It has high insulative qualities, it's tough, and it doesn't get stinky like cotton so I get multiple wears between washing. I quit chewing tobacco and saved that money for wool clothing. A win/win!! :mrgreen:
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Most all of the high end razoo, latest camo pattern stuff is not only stupid expensive but definitely not cotton. It almost all is of some light weight fabric that breathes and empties your wallet :shock:
Practical Hunter

Post by Practical Hunter »

Breathes and empties your wallet. That should be their corporate slogan. Although I'm now poor (from buying wool), it has made a world of difference in my comfort level while hunting since I left cotton and switched to wool. Here's how I saved a little money...I use the high $ merino as base layers and use the old school itchy wool, which is much cheaper, over that. You can find that stuff in army surplus stores and various catalog retailers like Ranger Joe's. The base layer protects you from the itchy stuff. Works pretty well. I also keep my eyes open for wool sweaters that go on clearance in department and specialty stores after winter. There are usually several in earth tones.