Stamp question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Stamp question

Post by TRshootem »

As I read the law language...the only person I need to show my stamp to is the Sheriff of the County, he is the one that signed my paper work. A ATF agent(now retired) seemed to think that was accurate. Maybe not so, but nobody has ever asked me regarding my can. I have been a tremendously successful suppressor salesman after newbies try and buy. Surely one of these companies need to know about my sales record... 8)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

golfindia wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 pm It just befuddles me that with all discussions that go on about how 2A is being constantly eroded... Most people have no problem giving up their right to privacy so easily. Very odd.

How is some rando at a gun range asking you for private info any different than a Dr asking if you have guns in the house?
Since you put in that context, I'll jump in and give an opinion. I have copies of every stamp I have, laminated and half sized in my vehicle and in the gun cases I carry them in. This is in case a LE has any question. If he is asking,I'm happy to show and don't consider that an infringement. Same as a concealed weapon. Show permit. An RO ? What are the rules of the range? If they are to show, well that's a business decision on their part and you can chose to show and shoot or go home,
I'm not telling folks how to run their business. As far as private info, my copies are hard to read and small. I doubt any RO will be able to hack into my bank account by glancing over one. I'm not easily offended and figure a little show goes a long way to educate such folks that silencers and SBRs are LEGAL stuff with the right paperwork.
As far as DR's asking if you have guns in the house, my DR is a hunter. We discuss hunting, deer, bear, share trail cam pics. He asked once, I stared at him for about 15 seconds. He checked NO.
So , in short and not to derail the thread, handle showing or not showing with care. Time and/or place can lead to consequences.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Tax stamp is not the same as a CWP. State/local leo has jurisdiction over concealed carry. State/local LEO has zero jurisdiction over Fed ATF issues. The IRS doesn't ask me for auto insurance.

My range has no RO. We are all ROs. We background check members before they get a badge. If you have a badge, we have looked at all the paperwork required. If you don't have a badge, you better be standing next to someone with a badge.

I'm not giving up my right to privacy in order to educate people or satisfy their curiosity. If they can't really see my stamp info on a shrunken PDF copy, or they don't look that closely, why show anything? What are they looking at? Just show them a scan of some credit card offer junk mail..... I have explained the tax stamp process to dozens of people over the years. Not one of them has asked to see my paperwork.

If anyone is concerned that I'm in possession of something illegal, I cheerfully direct them to the ATF tip line. And my attorney.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

You pick your fights, I'll pick mine :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

So far, I have only shown my stamp to guys at work. A few of us are slowly acquiring stamps and when you get yours faster then the others, the bragging commences.

As of yet, no one seems interested in mine at the range. I usually shoot in a "bay" by myself (outdoor range) and no one has taking the initiative to
be bothered.

The best thing about the pic on the phone is you can see the stamp and the signature in blue ink readily....the rest would take some expanding.
If a range/club officer would ask, I would not have a problem sharing and it would not offend me.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

rlandry6 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:18 pm Why would you not want to show someone your tax stamp?

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=107587&sid=c0b8f5 ... 0#p1000160
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I just keep a reduced size photocopy of my approved form for the gun in the grip of the gun.

I do have a small pouch with a piece of paracord through it that has copies of all of my tax stamps that I often take up to our range with me. But I've never been asked for anything.

I know that I have heard a ton of people say they wouldn't show anyone but the ATF a copy of their paperwork, and that's fine with me, but I have no problem showing any LEO mine if asked. While I haven't ever been asked, I would think it would resolve most issues on the spot. And if not, that's just more blues on them, not me.

Further, while technically the paperwork says that proof must be shown to an ATF agent upon request, and many people say otherwise is an infringement due to tax reasons and confidentiality, I would like to point out that you must also now provide a copy to the sheriff or other chief law enforcement officer in your area when you do a transfer or apply to make one now, so it's not like the atf is the only people who are granted access to your papers, and before even had to get signatures from CLEO.

So, I don't mind showing my forms. Just my 2 cents.

In having nfa items for almost a total of 20 years now, I have never been asked to see copies of my papers. Maybe I've just been lucky. But they're all legal anyway.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
eowen37

Post by eowen37 »

Only two times I have been asked to see my stamps. First time was for SBR at the local range I go to a lot. They wanted to see the difference between e-file & the paper ones they receive all the time. He was not questioning the legality of me or the gun, but did shake his head when I told him it was 23 days from prints received to approval. Then that turned into a side conversation. The other time was when I had a F1 can cerkoted. They kept a copy of the approved form with it.

I have reduced size copies of my stamps in the grip of my guns & I have full size copies folded up & tucked away in my shooting log book that is always in my range bag. I only keep a copy of the first page. I do know a guy that had all six pages of each form in his gun case for his SBR & can. I think that is over kill, but everyone has their own life to live.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

eowen37 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:12 pm I do know a guy that had all six pages of each form in his gun case for his SBR & can. I think that is over kill, but everyone has their own life to live.
Yeah, that is just stupid in my opinion. Especially since some of those pages are duplicates, and the remaining are just instructions and definitions.

Not to mention, once you start collecting stamps, would turn into a book really quickly. I would have over 60 pages to process at this point. :lol:
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.