Compressed loads?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

BOB567

Compressed loads?

Post by BOB567 »

Is it a fair statement to say that most all 300 blackout loads are compressed? I've only loaded 85 grain, 110 grain, and 125 grain so far, all supersonic, but it seems that these loads are either compressed or the base of the bullet is resting against the powder charge. I'm not even at max. using H110.

True statement or not?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Compressed loads?

Post by golfindia »

No.
BOB567

Post by BOB567 »

golfindia wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:25 pmNo.
OK, care to share load data, like powder and bullet weight? I'm not new to reloading. Been doing it for 40 years. Just new to 300 Blackout. Better powder choice? What?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It s either a poorly worded question or a trick question. Basically being unfamiliar with the cartridge. It’s impossible to have any kind of rule for loading this cartridge other than any load ca go sideways and ruin your day. At last count I have used over 30 powders and 100 bullets, probably more than half of those as both subs and supers.

Most supers are loaded 90%+ density, subs more like 75%. Then it becomes dependent on powder choice and bullet weight.

Of the powders you talked about,

H110/296 with bullets up to 150 grains 98-102% is where I load all but a handful of bullets. 150 and over it’s 90-98%. Subs I rarely use it. I find those densities generally produce an SD in the low teens and often in the single digits.

CFE if I can’t compress it .020”, I won’t use it.

1680 and supers over 150 grains, I start at 100%.

Faster powders get less density.

Sounds like you have done something similar, but every load, every powder I drop the charge in a fired case, set the bullet on the powder and note the COL. Quite often at max load I find compressed loads that are not indicated my the manufacturer.

You almost need to treat the cartridge as about 3 different ones.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BOB567

Post by BOB567 »

dellet wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:54 pm It s either a poorly worded question or a trick question. Basically being unfamiliar with the cartridge. It’s impossible to have any kind of rule for loading this cartridge other than any load ca go sideways and ruin your day. At last count I have used over 30 powders and 100 bullets, probably more than half of those as both subs and supers.

Most supers are loaded 90%+ density, subs more like 75%. Then it becomes dependent on powder choice and bullet weight.

H110/296 with bullets up to 150 grains 98-102% is where I load all but a handful of bullets. 150 and over it’s 90-98%. Subs I rarely use it. I find those densities generally produce an SD in the low teens and often in the single digits.

Sounds like you have done something similar, but every load, every powder I drop the charge in a fired case, set the bullet on the powder and note the COL. Quite often at max load I find compressed loads that are not indicated my the manufacturer.

Thank you. Wasn't a trick question at all. Poorly worded, possibly. Ive loaded a bunch of differant bullets in 223 all the way up to 45-70 and several belted and short magnums. Just new to 300 Blkout.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

There is nothing wrong with a compressed load. Whats the issue here?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Suputin221 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:50 pm There is nothing wrong with a compressed load. Whats the issue here?
First, read this again.
dellet wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:54 pm It s either a poorly worded question or a trick question. Basically being unfamiliar with the cartridge. It’s impossible to have any kind of rule for loading this cartridge other than any load ca go sideways and ruin your day. At last count I have used over 30 powders and 100 bullets, probably more than half of those as both subs and supers.

Then read a reloading manual noting loads using H110/W296 in 300 Blk.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
havoc_squad

Post by havoc_squad »

The short and simple is work with established safe load data with sufficient recommended safety margin and work up or down slowly.

There is too much powder and bullet seating depth combo variations of super vs sub to give out wild guesses.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

havoc_squad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:15 pm The short and simple is work with established safe load data with sufficient recommended safety margin and work up or down slowly.

There is too much powder and bullet seating depth combo variations of super vs sub to give out wild guesses.
Yes, nobody suggested otherwise.

There are loads of published compressed loads, generally noted with a "C".

There is no reason to be concerned simply because a load is compressed. There are, of course, exceptions to this but in general a compressed load is nothing exceptional.