Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by dellet »

masblackbelt wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:36 am
bangbangping wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:17 pm
Jcm800 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:17 pm About 2250....Temp around 60 deg. Don't know how much velocity you lose below 20 deg. They have an impressive fireball in low light.....lol
Rebel sent you a pm
Nice. I just started testing SOCOM powder. Don't believe I could quite match your velocity without seeing pressure signs, but so far 3 round ES has been single digit. We'll see. BTW, QuickLoad says you're over 80K psi. :lol:

Still waiting on Rebel's pm. :P
Maybe this is a dumb question. But isn't that a bit alarming? I've never messed with quickload, but how often is it that far off? I mean, I assume if you use standard primers especially that the pressure can't be anywhere near that high without major signs, right? Educate me! Haha
Quickload is only as accurate as the data entered, garbage in, garbage out. Or in this case, garbage in, primer pops out, or worse.

When I enter JBM’s numbers and use default settings, I get the same 80,000+ psi prediction with a load density of about 110%.

When I drop 23.5 grains of 1680 into my prepped brass, the bullet is .010” off the powder or about 97% density. That drops estimated pressure about 20k.

There is also a feature to check outputs for lot to lot variations of powder which is basically +/- 10%.

This is a good example of why you don’t trust any one else’s data without working up to it with your own components and rifle.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
masblackbelt

Post by masblackbelt »

dellet wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 am
Quickload is only as accurate as the data entered, garbage in, garbage out. Or in this case, garbage in, primer pops out, or worse.

When I enter JBM’s numbers and use default settings, I get the same 80,000+ psi prediction with a load density of about 110%.

When I drop 23.5 grains of 1680 into my prepped brass, the bullet is .010” off the powder or about 97% density. That drops estimated pressure about 20k.

There is also a feature to check outputs for lot to lot variations of powder which is basically +/- 10%.

This is a good example of why you don’t trust any one else’s data without working up to it with your own components and rifle.
Wow, I knew seating depth played into pressure for sure, but that is an astonishing difference in pressure for very little bullet movement. The more I learn about reloading, the more I realize how little I know and the more it amazes me some people don't blow their face off. I know some people that don't have all that much knowledge, but are constantly trying to push limits. Seeing number like that shows how bad of an idea that can be for people who aren't very studious. Isn't playing with explosives fun? :lol:
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Well after a year and a half of reading about these bullets I just couldn't take it anymore and decided to give them a try. At the very least it'll help me get rid of the pile of 1680 that's been collecting dust under my bench.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

The Speer GD bullets are still getting the job done! Hadn't had a chance to post in a while, been pretty busy dropping hogs! This makes a total of 20 hogs killed with these bullets. I love them! Sure been fun getting to spend time hunting with my brother and two oldest sons!

Last edited by hogcaller on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Hogkiller, how do you know it's working if you haven't recovered any bullets?

It would interesting to hear some weights of the animals and some distances. Either you have some small kids or big hogs looking some of those photos.

It's really nice seeing those results, thanks for taking the time to share.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Nice!!....you must have recovered some bullets out of all those hogs? Post'em up,
What powder / velocities you useing?

For anyone looking to buy GD's, Graf and Sons had the best prices along with a flat rate shipping change.....
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

Do y'all not go back in these threads? lol I posted some recovered bullets about a month ago........I also posted load data......
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

hogcaller wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:57 am Finally got to test these out on some hogs. Killed 2, but couldn't find the second one due to the tall cotton field we shot him in. I hated to lose him because my son had put the shot right behind the shoulder and was my best chance of recovering a bullet and getting good on-game performance data, he was a very large boar.....around 265 lbs. :x The first one (pictured) was shot once, just behind the eye. Got complete penetration, with a quarter size exit wound.

This was the 150 gr Speer BLK Gold Dot with 17.8 gr W296 from 16' barrel.