Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by rebel »

Just when you go to thinkin' you're a pretty damn good shot - somebody rolls around and makes your groups look like MaGoo shot them with a sling shot.
JCM is that guy :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

What's going on rebel. Thank you dellet for the pics. Finding a load that works is the hard part. :lol: I certainly used info from dellet, rebel and others on this site and just eliminated as much of "Murphys Law" as possible while handloading. To others that want to try this load work it up for safety reasons.

Rifle is a stock 700 aac-sd 1-7 with a HS/Rem stock, 15 moa steel Leupold base, extra high steel Weaver GS rings, Bushnell Elite 10x milldot.

Temp 18 deg, deer was broadside 125 yds....ran 50 yds. Nickel size entrance, quarter exit. I couldn't find any bullet fragments in lungs so it was close to 150 grains when it exited. Plowed straight through. Impressive performance for a slow 30 cal and they group as well as any SMK load I've tried.

Thanks to dellet for promoting this bullet.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

They shoot good out of my CZ as well JCM. I went to 22 gr of 1680. Shooting an honest 1/4 inch at 100 yards. I hope to take some meat with this over Thanksgiving.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Rebel believe it was you that had written that 1680 worked well with GDs way back. Thats an understatement to say the least.... :lol: You rarely see consistently low ES/SD's as this combo outside the ppc/br class cartridges. Good luck this deer season.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Believe or not JCM I have it with a Alliant powder and a 22/250 load. Off subject for this thread so PM me for details.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Jcm800 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:34 pm Rebel believe it was you that had written that 1680 worked well with GDs way back. Thats an understatement to say the least.... :lol: You rarely see consistently low ES/SD's as this combo outside the ppc/br class cartridges.
You're certainly shooting them well. That's impressive. What's your velocity with the load in the pic that dellet posted?
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

bangbangping wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 pm
Jcm800 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:34 pm Rebel believe it was you that had written that 1680 worked well with GDs way back. Thats an understatement to say the least.... :lol: You rarely see consistently low ES/SD's as this combo outside the ppc/br class cartridges.
You're certainly shooting them well. That's impressive. What's your velocity with the load in the pic that dellet posted?
About 2250....Temp around 60 deg. Don't know how much velocity you lose below 20 deg. They have an impressive fireball in low light.....lol
Rebel sent you a pm
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Jcm800 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:17 pm About 2250....Temp around 60 deg. Don't know how much velocity you lose below 20 deg. They have an impressive fireball in low light.....lol
Rebel sent you a pm
Nice. I just started testing SOCOM powder. Don't believe I could quite match your velocity without seeing pressure signs, but so far 3 round ES has been single digit. We'll see. BTW, QuickLoad says you're over 80K psi. :lol:

Still waiting on Rebel's pm. :P
masblackbelt

Post by masblackbelt »

bangbangping wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:17 pm
Jcm800 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:17 pm About 2250....Temp around 60 deg. Don't know how much velocity you lose below 20 deg. They have an impressive fireball in low light.....lol
Rebel sent you a pm
Nice. I just started testing SOCOM powder. Don't believe I could quite match your velocity without seeing pressure signs, but so far 3 round ES has been single digit. We'll see. BTW, QuickLoad says you're over 80K psi. :lol:

Still waiting on Rebel's pm. :P
Maybe this is a dumb question. But isn't that a bit alarming? I've never messed with quickload, but how often is it that far off? I mean, I assume if you use standard primers especially that the pressure can't be anywhere near that high without major signs, right? Educate me! Haha
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Primers mildly flattened, no cratering, easy extraction, no smearing from ejector, pockets still fairly tight after 4 fireings.....cci400's are not exactly a heavy duty primer lIke the 450's.

If I had to guess low 60k psi. Not much difference between 22 and 23.5 as far as the primers look......that seems to be the sweet spot for low es/sd. Another rifle performs best at 22gr. Win brass is near the top for capacity. If the brass lasts one season I'm fine with it. I'll make more..... lol

125gr/296 seem to hammer primer pockets harder in the 2250 fps range than GD's/1680.

Start low work your way up.