300 blk out hunting bullets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Falalssse

300 blk out hunting bullets

Post by Falalssse »

What are you guys using for subsonic hunting bullets? I reload my own stuff. Looking for something in the midrange price wise that works. Hornady has there subsonic ammo but doesn’t sell the bullets only. I have tested some hunting bullets with very poor results.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 blk out hunting bullets

Post by gds »

I am currently using Maker Bullets 200gr REX 2. Three shots three dead deer.

I have used some custom one offs, Cast solid, and cast Hollow point.

Others include:

Lehigh
Outlaw State
There are a few others I think.

I have heard that Hornady is going to be releasing the bullet they are using We shall see.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Like gds, I use the Maker Rex2 200gn and that's all I intend to use for subsonic hunting with the blackout. I have sent 4 at meat at ranges from 12yd to just over 100yd and have put 4 deer in the freezer as a result. After a good bit of testing with them I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything else. I would not even consider the cost differ nice between a box of bullets an issue if one is proven over and over again. It's a minuscule cost in the grand scheme of things.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Hornady 190 subs bullets are now sold for us reloaders. Not on the shelf yet but midway shows coming soon.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102187756?pid=759017
Ottertail

Post by Ottertail »

I make my own 220+ grain partially pre-fragmented bullets. Tested them at subsonic velocity against Hornady's 190 gr Sub-X in both Clear Ballistic Gel and gallon water jugs . Got slightly deeper penetration than the Hornady, and my GO-PRO video appears to show better energy transfer.
I was unsure if I had adequate power at subsonic velocity so loaded some in a .308 Winchester, chronographed velocity was about 1800 fps. Shot a small deer of about 100 pounds at 100 yds. Deer traveled about 80 yds before collapsing. The base core and jacket completely penetrated and some of the fragments are lodged in the rib cage on the off side.
I will have to try it next year in my Blackout.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Got video of that? I would watch.
Ottertail

Post by Ottertail »

While the GoPro can record video at 240 fps at 1080P resolution it is not fast enough to get true slow motion video. It does capture some of the action but would need to be at least 4 times faster to get a decent video. I have saved some screen shots but unfortunately have not figured out how to post them.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Upload them to imgur. It has free image hosting. also it generates the kind of length that you can just pasted into any forum and it'll work.
Ottertail

Post by Ottertail »

Lets see if I can figure this out.

Looks like it might work. 16 inch Clear Ballistic gel block is at its' most violent state. Not sure if you can zoom in on the picture. There are several fragments visible. The remaining jacket and base core has penetrated and exited the first jug behind the gel block and is visible at the far left of the picture. Starting velocity was approximately 1000 fps and the gel block was at 25 yards.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Thank you.