Starting first 300blk in years

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Slothclp

Starting first 300blk in years

Post by Slothclp »

Good afternoon been a long time fan of the caliber and the site. Help me trouble shoot my buddies sbr more than a few times. Back story quick is I had to clear my safe of all my ar15 from 556 to 50 beowulf to purchase a home for my growing family this year. I want to just do a basic built for now just irons. The use will just be a range and around the house and buddies farms for fun or taking out varmints and random critters along with range time. Setting up reloading now so that won’t be a issue in the near future.

Times are tight with the usual diaper,formula and time. Looking to do probably a 8.5in or 10.5in pistol. Will upgrade as needed but this will be the only ar15 platform for a long time and 300blk gives the most versatility for what I would like to do. So would those barre lengths be worth it from a more experienced stand point of actual use or should I go 16in. Looking at bear creek Arsenal uppers and the lower will be a spikes with quality milspec parts. Are these uppers any good or is there a better option in the price point.

Yes I know it’s not a bcm or Cmmg or the like and will probably upgrade barrels down the road this is just a project to keep sanity and get back into reloading. Been building ar15s in a few calibers for years so I’m not a noob at this just not much experience in the caliber. Sorry for the long winded post had a nap break
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Starting first 300blk in years

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Slothclp wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm Good afternoon been a long time fan of the caliber and the site. Help me trouble shoot my buddies sbr more than a few times. Back story quick is I had to clear my safe of all my ar15 from 556 to 50 beowulf to purchase a home for my growing family this year. I want to just do a basic built for now just irons. The use will just be a range and around the house and buddies farms for fun or taking out varmints and random critters along with range time. Setting up reloading now so that won’t be a issue in the near future.

Times are tight with the usual diaper,formula and time. Looking to do probably a 8.5in or 10.5in pistol. Will upgrade as needed but this will be the only ar15 platform for a long time and 300blk gives the most versatility for what I would like to do. So would those barre lengths be worth it from a more experienced stand point of actual use or should I go 16in. Looking at bear creek Arsenal uppers and the lower will be a spikes with quality milspec parts. Are these uppers any good or is there a better option in the price point.

Yes I know it’s not a bcm or Cmmg or the like and will probably upgrade barrels down the road this is just a project to keep sanity and get back into reloading. Been building ar15s in a few calibers for years so I’m not a noob at this just not much experience in the caliber. Sorry for the long winded post had a nap break
Hi there and welcome!

If you have the SBR stamp and want a short barrel then I recommend the 10.5 inch. It will be short enough to be managable wit a can on AND will give you enough velocity to where it should be able to be used for hunting to about 150yds with a 110gr bullet.

If the length isn't really a big deal or not then go 16 inch barrel because it produces better velocities for more distance in hunting with more bullet options.

I don't own any of the brands you mention but I believe people used to be happy with Spikes products. Haven't heard of Spikes being used to much in a while though.
I would say check out MasDefense.com, their price points are great, customer services was good, and I am happy with my upper. I know a number of guys a long while back seemed to be happy with them as well. With the holiday sales coming up I'm sure you could get an even better deal on blackfriday/cybermonday weekend. They also provide a lot of options so you can get the kind of upper you want with very little fuss. Win-win :)
Gman2017

Post by Gman2017 »

The 300 blk shines in the shorter barrels. The 9'' is what it was designed around. If your looking for a longer barrel. I would go with a different caliber. Just my 2 cents. Welcome aboard.
Mroja1016

Post by Mroja1016 »

You can build something shorter than 16 inches if you put a brace instead of a stock