New to reloading, need help with Lee breech pro

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Wonrib00

New to reloading, need help with Lee breech pro

Post by Wonrib00 »

I live in Cali...so I am already frustrated enough. But I am new to reloading, I bought a Lee Auto Breech Lock pro for 300BO. I am having issues with the automatic case feeder. Seems like no matter what I do, the case doesn’t seat in the plate unless there are one or no more cases in the feeding tubes. Anyone else have this problem, or is this operator error? I checked their list of compatible cartridges and 300BO is not listed for the case feeder, but I see people using it. Any help on making the fix? I was thinking of cutting the added case support piece that is for longer cases, like .223.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to reloading, need help with Lee breech pro

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hi there and welcome!
I'm no help here, but hopefully my post bumps you to the top of the unread list so others may chime in.
havoc_squad

Post by havoc_squad »

First you need to diagnose the cause of the problem, answer the "why".

I do not have experience with your model of press, but I do run into situations where things don't work right on my reloading press without an obvious answer available from the manual or from basic internet research.

Yes, you might end up finding a forum/blog post that explains why it happens and a fix suggested. However, what about the next problem that shows up?

What a lot of people don't say is a neccesary skill for reloading is the ability to diagnose a problem to find the reason why it won't work or why the problem is occurring.

Start with a known working product, study up on how the case feeder functions properly in detail, observe how it works properly, then use the product that isn't functioning properly and observe in detail the forces that are causing it to bind up.

Example questions:

What variations of case feeding dies/settings are used?

If there is one specific to rifles, does it have a minimum case length or some requirement of a certain minumum amount of case shoulder.

Sometimes with a little diagnostic testing and reading the specifications of what it can and cannot do, you will get your answers.
exexex

Post by exexex »

Don't have your press type, but do have a Lee Classic Turret. Had a question once, submitted a ticket and they answered it pretty quickly. Also ordered some small extra parts from them. Happy with what limited support I've asked of them.

If you are new to the press, you could try finding instruction and help manuals on their web site. Or just open a ticket with Lee (leeprecision.com -> contact us -> 'What is Lee Precision's email address'.
Wonrib00

Post by Wonrib00 »

The problem was, Lee doesn’t list the 300BO as a case that this new press is supposed to load using the automation. They give you a spacer for the taller cartridge, like the .223. It cycles fine with the .223, following the instructions with the penny spacing. What I ended up doing was, cutting the added spacer in half, making it half the height it was originally. Then, filed off the sharp parts and sanded smooth. It feeds cases perfectly now, not one issue.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Wonrib00 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:54 pm The problem was, Lee doesn’t list the 300BO as a case that this new press is supposed to load using the automation. They give you a spacer for the taller cartridge, like the .223. It cycles fine with the .223, following the instructions with the penny spacing. What I ended up doing was, cutting the added spacer in half, making it half the height it was originally. Then, filed off the sharp parts and sanded smooth. It feeds cases perfectly now, not one issue.
Nice find and fix!
Wonrib00

Post by Wonrib00 »

Thanks. There was a little seam to it, so it almost felt like they knew it was going to be done...or it was by complete accident and just happened to for for this case.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

I've modified some dies for the a b l p. It makes the flooring guy / powder drop work a lot better. I really need to do a video on that sometime soon. the idea started with a thread on this forum but it needed some additional help.