Another "Best" Suppressor ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ggilmoreinbox

Another "Best" Suppressor ?

Post by ggilmoreinbox »

Search results provide answers that are too vague for my specific application

10" Pump action 300Blk AR (No action noise)
I handload and have tried powders as fast as Nitro 100 with bullets from 170-220
Mystic X is current suppressor

Can't seem to achieve "Hollywood" quiet like I can with Mystic on other guns like .357, 35rem etc.

I'm thinking problem is combination of not enough barrel length and Mystic suppressor bore bigger than 300blk bullet.

Want to keep 10" barrel so...if replacing the suppressor is the solution I need to know the current consensus for quietest 300Blk suppressor
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Another "Best" Suppressor ?

Post by bangbangping »

Can you change bullets? If you're just punching holes and you're not concerned about cycling an AR, any of the 110-125 grain bullets will be much quieter, simply because they don't need as much powder to get up to speed.

Sorry, I don't know enough about all the various suppressors to say which is quietest.

Edit: Do you know your velocity? Going from, say, 1050 fps to 900 fps can make a big difference, too.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

have you run trailboss yet?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I've done A/B of my Mystic X and SDN-6. I can't really tell a difference.

It doesnt matter anyway, I use the Mystic X most of the time because it's so much lighter.

If I bought my Mystic X first, I probably would not own as many silencers.
ggilmoreinbox

Post by ggilmoreinbox »

plant.one wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:59 pm have you run trailboss yet?
Yes. Not the quietest. I've been up and down the scale with powder. So far it's Red Dot or Titegroup for the win on quiet powder.
ggilmoreinbox

Post by ggilmoreinbox »

golfindia wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:20 pm I've done A/B of my Mystic X and SDN-6. I can't really tell a difference.

It doesnt matter anyway, I use the Mystic X most of the time because it's so much lighter.

If I bought my Mystic X first, I probably would not own as many silencers.
Interesting observation and very useful to my situation. I won't waste time or money on the latest greatest 300blk suppressor if there's not an appreciable difference from my Mystic X
ggilmoreinbox

Post by ggilmoreinbox »

bangbangping wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 am Can you change bullets? If you're just punching holes and you're not concerned about cycling an AR, any of the 110-125 grain bullets will be much quieter, simply because they don't need as much powder to get up to speed.

Sorry, I don't know enough about all the various suppressors to say which is quietest.

Edit: Do you know your velocity? Going from, say, 1050 fps to 900 fps can make a big difference, too.
Mid 900s chronoed velocity. Changing bullets made a little difference but not as much as it has with other calibers. ie...running 190 makers and switching to 170 Pro hunters not a lot of difference in 300blk. In my .357 with mystic running 158s made a BIG difference compared to 180s. Most of my Subsonic guns are hunting rigs so 110-125 too light. So again to recap...I'm keeping barrel length at 10" and bullet weight of at least 168g and I've run the range of powders. If there's a new wonder-suppressor that will improve over the Mystic, I'm in. If not, maybe I've reached a dead end.
ggilmoreinbox

Post by ggilmoreinbox »

Some progress today!

Lowered a previous 965fps load of 5.4g Red Dot over 170g Sierra FP to 5.2g.

QUIET for sure!

While the Sierra is not advertised to expand at subsonic, it has been known to do just that. Here's a picture of a recovered bullet after passing thru a deer shoulder. Still not my optimal choice for sub hunt bullet from this gun, especially at barely 900fps, but it's my jumping off point to try some Lehigh 168g controlled fracture next. They're rumored to perform well as low as 750fps so 900fps with a BC of .630 should be just what I'm looking for IF I can "hush" them down like the Sierras

ggilmoreinbox

Post by ggilmoreinbox »

Yet more progress. Back to Titegroup for quietest. While I wait for these Lehigh 168g CF...

I started working with these Speer 165g BTSP. Using them to cheaply work down a load that will approximate what I hope will be a super quiet 900fps load with the Lehigh...

I'm down to 4.1g Titegroup COAL 2.220. 906fps avg. Mag is seating on closed bolt and rds feeding well from 20rd USGI mags. Super quiet with little to no FRP from 10" barreled AR pump gun and Mystic-X can. Darn near suppressed bolt action .22 quiet.
Tugnut

Post by Tugnut »

ggilmoreinbox wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:32 pm Yet more progress. Back to Titegroup for quietest. While I wait for these Lehigh 168g CF...

I started working with these Speer 165g BTSP. Using them to cheaply work down a load that will approximate what I hope will be a super quiet 900fps load with the Lehigh...

I'm down to 4.1g Titegroup COAL 2.220. 906fps avg. Mag is seating on closed bolt and rds feeding well from 20rd USGI mags. Super quiet with little to no FRP from 10" barreled AR pump gun and Mystic-X can. Darn near suppressed bolt action .22 quiet.
How was precision with the Titegroup load?