T/C Contender 300 blackout strangeness

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GregP42
Silent Operator

T/C Contender 300 blackout strangeness

Post by GregP42 »

Hey guys,

Start with the specs first, 16.25" long, 1-8" twist MGM barrel.

Was working with this one today on 110gr loads, getting ok results. So I decided to shoot some of my Hornady 190gr sub-x rounds, this is where it got weird, at least for me, 50 yards was the range, the 110gr are shooting point of aim at that distance, but the 190gr are shooting high, and not just a little bit, they are shooting 15" higher than the 110gr at the same distance. So, any thoughts besides gravity might be upside down at the range?

Greg
NRA Life member
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: T/C Contender 300 blackout strangeness

Post by 20X11 »

Sub sonic rounds behave differently than supersonic.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

Yep, the only thing I can think of is dwell time in the barrel and the recoil impulse making it go higher. Other than that, if they are leaving on the same plain as each other is figures that the slower heavier bullet would drop more first.

Greg
20X11 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:24 pm Sub sonic rounds behave differently than supersonic.
NRA Life member
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

GregP42 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 pm Yep, the only thing I can think of is dwell time in the barrel and the recoil impulse making it go higher.
That's it. I've had it happen in a few rifles when there was a big disparity in bullet weight and speed.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

Well I went back out today, 34f outside.... But I was off work and had time.

Took my Ruger ranch rifle in 300 blackout with me as well.

I sighted both rifles in at 50 yards with the exact same load of 110gr Vmax bullets, about 2100fps out of both guns. I then switched to the 220gr Nosler rn bullets. They are running right at 1100fps out of both rifles. Out of the Ruger at 50 yards they shoot 3 1/2" below point of aim, out of the Contender they hit 13" high.... So I went to 100 yards figuring they should be falling back down... Out of the Ruger they are about 18" low, out of the contender they are now up to 27" high.... I gave up and came home, I have no idea why they are doing this now. The barrel I got from a member here, and it is a good shooter, the base is 0moa so that shouldn't have anything to do with it, they scope is a know good scope I took off of my 17 Hornet just to test it with a different scope. So yea, not a freaking clue what is going on here. And for those that have had issues with the 220gr Nosler rn, I am getting nice clean holes, no yaw out of either gun.

Scratching my head over this, can't pull my hair, don't have much left up there to pull :lol:

Greg
NRA Life member
Pavsuper

Post by Pavsuper »

that the same thing happen to me. :shock: