Ordered a 5.56 Upper

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

OldeTSgt

Ordered a 5.56 Upper

Post by OldeTSgt »

I just ordered a 5.56 Premium Upper from PSA - I am wondering if you guys have dedicated lowers for your 300 BLK (I have a 300 BLK I built using Aero and Anderson parts) or do you just snap on the 5.56 upper to your existing lower or do you have lowers for both rifles - I have two spare stripped lowers and LPK with a couple BGC extras - what do you guys do?
Long Live Liberty
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ordered a 5.56 Upper

Post by SwampDog_13 »

I've got a problem with having incomplete rifles. I've never been able to keep just an upper or lower. Every time I've had one I've just eventually wound up putting together a dedicated other half.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

OldeTSgt wrote:I just ordered a 5.56 Premium Upper from PSA - I am wondering if you guys have dedicated lowers for your 300 BLK (I have a 300 BLK I built using Aero and Anderson parts) or do you just snap on the 5.56 upper to your existing lower or do you have lowers for both rifles - I have two spare stripped lowers and LPK with a couple BGC extras - what do you guys do?
Sounds like you are falling into the trap!!! Can you have just one? Usually a upper finds a lower and vice versa!! Then they multiply!

The only problem I can see with just swapping uppers is this......If you ever make the mistake of loading and firing a 300BO in a 223 upper, I would bet you won't make the mistake again!! I try and keep the two calibers separate...I have baskets I carry to the range for each caliber and recently instead of marking
a black mag with blue painters tape to indicate it as 300BO, I bought sand colored Pmags for the 300BO.

I shoot 4 calibers in the AR......223, 300BO, 9mm and 308, which really is a different platform. As it is the 9mm uses sten mags which sets it apart, so the real
"danger" is the intermingling of the 223 and 300BO in my AO.

Good luck to ya, and have fun!
OldeTSgt

Post by OldeTSgt »

We only use 10 rd magazines for the 300 BLK - if it is a 20-30-40 rd magazine it is 5.56 -
Long Live Liberty
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Personally, I have one lower for my 300BO and 5.56. The 5.56 is a 16" upper, while the BO is a 8" upper. And I can fit both into a 42" hardside case, along with suppressor.

One bag, two guns.

Yes, the potential exists for mixing ammo. Haven't done it yet. I keep the different ammo in different colored boxes. And I inspect the ammo in the magazine before inserting it.

Sure, you can have a bad day at the office. Or you can take personal resposibility; it takes 2 seconds to check the rounds in the magazine. Seems worth it to me.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

OldeTSgt wrote:I just ordered a 5.56 Premium Upper from PSA - I am wondering if you guys have dedicated lowers for your 300 BLK (I have a 300 BLK I built using Aero and Anderson parts) or do you just snap on the 5.56 upper to your existing lower or do you have lowers for both rifles - I have two spare stripped lowers and LPK with a couple BGC extras - what do you guys do?

Lowers for each here. I always want to be prepared to have both rifles ready for use to hunt. In my mind the scenario is always that I will be hunting with someone else and I have the rifles ready to go for the both of us hahaha. It has really yet to happen that way :)
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

I have a tricked out lower ( stock and trigger and grip) that hosts 5 different uppers.

This allows me to keep the trigger operation the same no matter what I'm shooting
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

I fit uppers to lowers for best characteristics, and then build out whole guns with different purposes.

In .223/5.56, I have my 14yr olds gun (16" mid gas M4gery), my LW carbine/shtf (16" carbine M4gery), and "poodle shooter" (18" mid gas precision HBAR build with varmint scope).

The only "switch" upper is my 7.5" pistol which shares a lower with my 7.5" 300blk upper.

Then there's the 300blk carbine, 458 socom carbine, and AR10 rifle.

Only 2 have collapsible stocks, and I might ditch the CTR on mine for a fixed since the first thing I do is max it out as soon as it leaves the case. Kiddo's still growing, so his works as adjustable LOP.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Do you need a separate lower? No
Is it nice to have a lower for each upper? Yes
Is it nicer to 12 lowers and uppers? Definitely
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

SwampDog_13 wrote:I've got a problem with having incomplete rifles. I've never been able to keep just an upper or lower. Every time I've had one I've just eventually wound up putting together a dedicated other half.
This is my mentality as well, it never crosses my mind to share lowers.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne