Ordered a 5.56 Upper

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ghmann
Silent Operator

Re: Ordered a 5.56 Upper

Post by Ghmann »

I've got two complete AR-15s. I'm planning on putting a 300 blk out upper with its own optic on the Bushmaster lower. I can swap the uppers at will using the same BCG. If the 300 upper works out, I'll probably put the 5.56 upper in storage (the attic). But with PSA selling their classic lower blems for $130, who knows. Maybe someday I'll end up with 3 complete ARs.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

The absolute only lower that I will have this year that won't have a dedicated upper for it will be a "post dealer sample" full auto that my company will legally possess once my vetting and paperwork finishes for 07 manufacturing and class 02 SOT. Videos will follow in a several months.

I caught the bug in 2015 and I have several hot irons in the fire and only one pair of hands.

Every upper should have its own lower. Always.

The only reason the full auto won't have a dedicated upper is because it will rotate usage between calibers and barrel length.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...the struggle is real :cry:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

r.tenorio671 wrote:...the struggle is real :cry:
i know right? first world problems and all that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

I started out intending to have a couple of lowers ( say , a fixed and a collapsible ) and a bunch of uppers in different barrel lengths and calibers . But.........real life set in . The 300BOs needed H2 buffers the others didn't . The 458 Socom and Can Cannon needed a limbsaver recoil pad the others didn't need . The .223 with the White Oak heavy fluted match barrel and 4-16 power scope needed a light match trigger which did not work well at all under a 458 upper ( but I finally could do bump firing , even if I didn't want to ) . The 50BMG lower had to NOT have a bolt hold open nor a buffer , buffer spring , and retainer and spring . The SBRs needed a registered lower .
It was annoying to travel all the way out to the range and find you had not changed something out or brought something to complete THAT set up . Gas , time , and loss of fun is an expense , too .
Then , a LGS here started stocking Anderson lowers and parts kits on the cheep and AGS ART triggers , so I threw up my hands and embraced the madness . At this time , I have a 16" .22 , a 20" 5.56 , a 16" and a SBR .300BO , a 16" .458 , a 29" .50BMG , and a Can Cannon , all complete.

As far as magazines , the .300BOs are in black 30 rd Magpul 3rd Gens with sticker packs on them , the .223s are in translucent Lancer 20s ( clear - 55 gr , smoke - M855 , FDE - 77gr OTM ) and M856 tracers in FDE solids , the .458s are in translucent Lancer 30s ( have all three colors , but have not pick a bullet / color combo yet ) and the blanks for the Can Cannon are in blue 30 round LE training mags ( won't take bulleted rounds ) .
Chris
cjclemens

Post by cjclemens »

I can't have an upper without a lower. I blame OCD. One of my 223/5.56 rifles has a better trigger in it, so I "borrow" that lower when I try to do any precision work. Other than that, it has its own dedicated lower that stays on it 24/7. I've honestly tried to do the one lower/multiple upper thing, but every upper I buy/build ends up sprouting a lower sooner or later.
OldeTSgt

Re: Ordered a 5.56 Upper - Update

Post by OldeTSgt »

Well, we built the gun in 5.56/223 and it was a Christmas present for my wife's grandson. He loved it I made big brownie points with my son in law and his wife - Cassen then saved up all his money from his birthday and Christmas - large extended family - and bought the rifle a new scope to go with it.
Long Live Liberty
Ghmann
Silent Operator

Post by Ghmann »

Glad you got that worked out. Great Christmas gift.

I now have 3 uppers and only 2 lowers. I snapped the 300 Blk to my Bushmaster lower and stored the 5.56 upper in the 300 BO box. It's eating at me tho. I have an orphaned upper. It's very tempting to order one of those PSA classic lowers to make 3 complete rifles. Must resist.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

It's OK to swap uppers around if you are either building a lower or saving to build one but at the end of the day, every upper deserves a mate.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel