Got me a dissipator, handguard options?

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

2wheelDuke

Re: Got me a dissipator, handguard options?

Post by 2wheelDuke »

I got to wanting one, but wound up building my own. It's carbine length under the handguard instead of mid length.

dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

DoubleJ is right, the original "Dissipator" was a 16 in barrel with a rifle length gas system. Arfcom decided it was ok to call a mid gas rifle with fake gas block/front sight at rifle length gas position a "dissipator". It's about the look over there... :roll:
This is a Dissipator;
Whoever said it doesn't look right without the carry handle is right. I'll probably move the barrel and handguard to my Oly Arms carry handle upper.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

dtom29 wrote:DoubleJ is right, the original "Dissipator" was a 16 in barrel with a rifle length gas system. Arfcom decided it was ok to call a mid gas rifle with fake gas block/front sight at rifle length gas position a "dissipator". It's about the look over there... :roll:
This is a Dissipator;
Whoever said it doesn't look right without the carry handle is right. I'll probably move the barrel and handguard to my Oly Arms carry handle upper.
Before I got my A2 receiver, I just used a carry handle on my flattop, and it worked great. It's an option if you don't really want to disassemble your uppers.
2wheelDuke

Post by 2wheelDuke »

attila. wrote:
dtom29 wrote:DoubleJ is right, the original "Dissipator" was a 16 in barrel with a rifle length gas system. Arfcom decided it was ok to call a mid gas rifle with fake gas block/front sight at rifle length gas position a "dissipator". It's about the look over there... :roll:
This is a Dissipator;
Before I got my A2 receiver, I just used a carry handle on my flattop, and it worked great. It's an option if you don't really want to disassemble your uppers.

How does your "true dissipator" function? I've read that they can have issues with such a short amount of barrel left after the gas port. I can see why. That's why I like the "faux" dissipators. You can keep a long sight radius, but have the shorter, lighter barrel and still have it function properly. It's not about looks as far as I'm concerned, even though I do like the look.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I've had no problems of any kind with this rifle. I think the rep that these have came from 20 in barrels being cut down without any consideration of gas port size. When they are done correctly there is no trouble. This rifle is one of the most accurate that I own.