Got me a dissipator, handguard options?

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Got me a dissipator, handguard options?

Post by DoubleJ »

Grabbed one of those PSA dissipators the other day when they came into stock. Looks like the front sight is canted, which seems to be an issue across the board, but I'll probably swap it out for a front folder anyway.

Curious, anyone know of a set of GI looking or similar handguards for this thing that aren't 11" around in front of the Delta ring? I like the look of the simple pieces, but I don't have pro ball player sized hands. Thanks all.

Oh, and yes, I do have a proper C.A.R. replica coming to replace that MOE. Grip is probably going to stay though, A2ish grips are the devil.

I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Got me a dissipator, handguard options?

Post by plant.one »

i dont know of any GI looking stuff thats skinny - that handguard they come with sucks.... my cmmg started out life like that, except with a canted railed block out front.

if you're planning on putting a fold up site on the front anyway, i'd heavily recommend a free float handguard for it.

i have a couple of the UTG pro super slims in play right now. one on my pistol and one on my carbine. they're silly simple to install, and the profile is wonderful.

they're super easy to install, and the price is right.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg ... guard.html
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
anotherkelley
Silent But Deadly

Post by anotherkelley »

You like the traditional triangular look?

http://www.uscoreplicas.net

They're kinda old school, have to call in your order. I've bought 'good' & 'fair' condition sets from them twice now. Always got what I was expecting - usually shipped in a day or two.

DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I've got free float ARs out the wazoo, was really hoping to stick with the old school Dissy handguard, carry handle, and that big front sight on this one, but my optic needs the rail space, I've found that I can deal with the front sight post in my line of sight with the optic, and these HGs are huge. Maybe I'll just deal with em and get a vert grip to hang on to. As for the triangles, that's a little too old school for me, but thanks for the info.

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

there are a couple FF handguards that have cutouts for a standard sight base like that if you're looking to keep it. just food for thought.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Troy Delta? Rail
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

You're going to worry about having a CAR buttstock but you want to get rid of the handguard? That really doesn't make any sense. Is it really a dissipator (rifle length gas) or just a look alike with a fake gasblock/front sight?
Edit to add in a gentle voice...help me understand.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

I've been liking my rifle length MOE guard, but they might be as thick as the standard guard:

Sorry for the bad lighting.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Is it really a dissipator (rifle length gas) or just a look alike with a fake gasblock/front sight?
Edit to add in a gentle voice...help me understand.
A "dissipator" (as per Bushmaster, who came up with it) has a carbine length gas system underneath a rifle length handguard. The gas block on the front sight is not actually used- there's neither a gas port nor a gas tube in that position.

It will function like any other carbine length rifle, but it has a longer sight radius and room for a longer handguard.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I thought the original dissipator was a 20" cut to 16" while keeping the RLGS, which didn't really work all that good. Either way, this one is a middy with a small block at the tube, and a front sight post that has the triangle thing bolted in where the gas tube should go.

I confirmed with PSA that the front sight is canted, so looks like it has to go back anyways. They carry two different HG sets that look identical on the website, one is a classis, one is a standard. I'm assuming the standard is narrower at the rear, but who knows. I also got the CAR buttstock, and it's tiny. Very short both in length and height. Looks like a dissy isn't for me.

Probably going to 86 the front sight post, put my YHM folder on there, swap the HG and grip to Magpul's SL series, and stick an MVG and a CTR on it and be done.

Just doesn't look right without the carry handle anyway.