(Relatively) Inexpensive .223 Bullet Feeder die!

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

(Relatively) Inexpensive .223 Bullet Feeder die!

Post by thisguysguns »

So, I've been pretty butt hurt about not being able to find a simple and inexpensive bullet feeding solution for rifle caliber reloading on my Hornady AP Lock-n-Load progressive press. People probably know about this solution already, but I'd like to share because it isn't advertised enough.

What you will need:

-Bullet feeding die (link below)
-PVC Piping (of two sizes)
-Masking tape (for concentric centering; other things can work also)

Step 1. Buy this (select .223 under caliber options):

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Mr-Bul ... bf-die.htm

Step 2. Buy 1/4" ID PVC Pipe (3 foot length is perfect) and 11/16" ID PVC Pipe (at least 3 inches long).

Step 3. Cut a 3" piece of 11/16" PVC pipe; try to make as square of a cut as possible. You can also cut it longer if you'd like to have a larger support area for the smaller feeding pipe.

Step 4. Wrap one end of the 1/4" PVC Pipe with masking tape until it fits snugly inside of the 11/16" pipe

Step 5. Wrap the top of the Mr. Bullet Feeder die with approximately 1.25 wraps of masking tape; this is to make the 11/16" pipe fit snugly on the die.

Step 6. Slip the 11/16" pipe over the top of the feeder die all the way down to the stopper clip, making sure the fit is snug.

Step 7. Insert the taped end of the 1/4" pipe into the 11/16" pipe (which is snugly fit onto the feeder die) until the 1/4" pipe is snugly and squarely interfaced with the feeder die. Should now look like this:

Step 8. Load feed pipe with roughly 50 bullets (jacketed boat tail bullets work best)

Step 9. Load furiously.

You can use a rubber band or a piece of tape to affix the feed pipe to the powder dropper to help keep the pipe from tilting over, or you can figure out some other MacGyvered way to keep the pipe from keeling over. I'm lazy, so I just taped it. I'll probably find some contraption involving a piece of tubing and a rubber band, but that's for a future date.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Re: (Relatively) Inexpensive .223 Bullet Feeder die!

Post by thisguysguns »

OH, Grand total cost for everything was about $62. I find this much better than $360 for the Hornady bullet feeding monstrosity.
WalterGA
Silent But Deadly

Post by WalterGA »

I don't see how any system that doesn't feature an electric collator could be better than seating/feeding manually, one at a time.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

WalterGA wrote:I don't see how any system that doesn't feature an electric collator could be better than seating/feeding manually, one at a time.
It's all about getting into the groove, man! I often lose focus and drop bullets when feeding bullets manually. And I supposed overall time usage is only marginally better, but actual time working the press is much shorter.
07yzryder
Silent Operator

Post by 07yzryder »

i do the cheap 9 and 45 feeder die with the clear tubes full of projectiles. what i do is sit and watch tv while loading tubes 3-4 gives me a 2-3 hundred projectiles each. also gives me a chance to slow down, cehck the powder dropper, check the primers, grab a drink of water (desert heat kicks your ass in the garage and i always forget to hydrate).

one of these days ill put the money into a slot machine setup but for now i do something just like this.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

WalterGA wrote:I don't see how any system that doesn't feature an electric collator could be better than seating/feeding manually, one at a time.

this is the same disconnect i have too. thats part of what makes the case feeder so worth it. dump in a pile and flip the switch. one less thing to fiddle with.
thisguysguns wrote:It's all about getting into the groove, man!

and thats what i've found. once you get into the groove hand feeding, it goes along fairly smoothly. i'd go nutty having to stop every 50-100 rounds just to stack another batch of bullets into a peice of pipe - or even one of the lee bullet feeder setups.

the beauty of reloading is that you found something that works for you though :) here's to long term success with your system :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
The German

Post by The German »

In case somebody else only got the .223 bullet feeder for a more smooth operation (or later purchase of the collator etc.), here is an adapter that can be 3D-printed and fits the mrbulletfeeder .223 feeding die http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1863110
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

:lol:
Thinking outside the box! I thought that was a soda straw at first glance
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk