Receiver lapping

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Receiver lapping

Post by rlandry6 »

To you amateur gunsmith types....

I've watched a couple of videos on this and it makes sense to square the receiver to the barrel extension. Just curious, if you had a receiver face that needed to be lapped .001" , or even a little more, what does that do to the head spacing?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Receiver lapping

Post by bangbangping »

Nothing at all. The headspace is determined by the bolt and barrel. The bolt will lock up the same either way, because the bolt locks into the barrel extension which moves with the barrel.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Facing the upper receiver socket does nothing to internal barrel measurements.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It will change your sight radius if you shoot irons and you won’t be able to win the nationals until you recalculate all your drops.

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I've lapped a few. I don't really know if I could tell a difference. At least not in how and where I shoot.

I have noticed on some that I did lap, that the rear iron sight seems to need to be cranked a lot farther over to one side or another than I would like to zero, so ...

The last one that I lapped, I also had to remove some of the metal from the front of the barrel extension in the lathe so I could time the barrel nut and handguard so it would time straight up and down. Very time consuming and nerve racking and considering how little I took off during a pass, took several times to get it right.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote:It will change your sight radius if you shoot irons and you won’t be able to win the nationals until you recalculate all your drops.

Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

John A. wrote:I've lapped a few. I don't really know if I could tell a difference. At least not in how and where I shoot.

I have noticed on some that I did lap, that the rear iron sight seems to need to be cranked a lot farther over to one side or another than I would like to zero, so ...

The last one that I lapped, I also had to remove some of the metal from the front of the barrel extension in the lathe so I could time the barrel nut and handguard so it would time straight up and down. Very time consuming and nerve racking and considering how little I took off during a pass, took several times to get it right.
I must be thinking of a different thing. I cant imagine having to clean a receiver face up enough to affect something else...
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

When I first built the upper, I used one of those extruded slick side dpms uppers.

When I got it built and everything together, I marked where the 12 o' clock position was and had the freefloat tube engraved with the form1 info for the integral suppressor and got the picatinny rail threaded and installed, and the handguard that I was going to use to keep my fingers from getting hot.

Fast forward to when I was going to zero everything and found out the slick side upper pic rail was slightly canted. Everything you mounted to it (iron sights, scope rails, or red dots) were all canted slightly off. It was the upper that was fubar'd. Nothing I did, so I had to swap to a different receiver (one with a standard forge mark so everything was straight and in spec)

Well, the difference in the barrel nut thread caused the timing to be off on my handguard/silencer tube, so I had to take it apart and lap the face of the receiver, and then I had to chuck the barrel itself up in my lathe and remove enough of the surface so everything would time back up in the proper place when the barrel nut was torqued down in place.

This isn't a standard build. It's truly an integral suppressed upper. Not some large internal diameter handguard where someone fits a silencer underneath and calls it an integral upper. This one truly is all built into the upper

All of this could've been avoided if dpms didn't sell crappy stuff with crooked rails. Only reason I wanted a slickside in the first place was because 9mm uppers don't use a forward assist and I didn't want to junk up the build with one that was pointless though that's what I ended up having to do so anything mounted on the receiver would be straight.

Anyway, a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words. Maybe that would help you see why it was important to time the handguard back right? At the very least, if it didnt' time back up at the 12 o' clock position, the front sights would've been closer to the 5 o clock position because I had built everything according to the POS dpms upper.

When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

John A. wrote:When I first built the upper, I used one of those extruded slick side dpms uppers.

When I got it built and everything together, I marked where the 12 o' clock position was and had the freefloat tube engraved with the form1 info for the integral suppressor and got the picatinny rail threaded and installed, and the handguard that I was going to use to keep my fingers from getting hot.

Fast forward to when I was going to zero everything and found out the slick side upper pic rail was slightly canted. Everything you mounted to it (iron sights, scope rails, or red dots) were all canted slightly off. It was the upper that was fubar'd. Nothing I did, so I had to swap to a different receiver (one with a standard forge mark so everything was straight and in spec)

Well, the difference in the barrel nut thread caused the timing to be off on my handguard/silencer tube, so I had to take it apart and lap the face of the receiver, and then I had to chuck the barrel itself up in my lathe and remove enough of the surface so everything would time back up in the proper place when the barrel nut was torqued down in place.

This isn't a standard build. It's truly an integral suppressed upper. Not some large internal diameter handguard where someone fits a silencer underneath and calls it an integral upper. This one truly is all built into the upper

All of this could've been avoided if dpms didn't sell crappy stuff with crooked rails. Only reason I wanted a slickside in the first place was because 9mm uppers don't use a forward assist and I didn't want to junk up the build with one that was pointless though that's what I ended up having to do so anything mounted on the receiver would be straight.

Anyway, a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words. Maybe that would help you see why it was important to time the handguard back right? At the very least, if it didnt' time back up at the 12 o' clock position, the front sights would've been closer to the 5 o clock position because I had built everything according to the POS dpms upper.

That is very unique. Really cool. And yes, now I think i get what you were saying.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

bangbangping wrote:
dellet wrote:It will change your sight radius if you shoot irons and you won’t be able to win the nationals until you recalculate all your drops.

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.