Need recomendation for mould

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

RogerRonas
Senior Silent Operator

Need recomendation for mould

Post by RogerRonas »

Can anyone recommend an NOE mould for supers.

Prefer plain base PB, and up to 5 cavaties.
Maybe in the 110-150 gr.
This is for ar15 pistol.

thanks
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need recomendation for mould

Post by excess650 »

I haven't shot these, but have considered trying it. These are groove free, so meant to be coated.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... flnaao5cr3
Black Rifles Matter
RogerRonas
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RogerRonas »

excess650 wrote:I haven't shot these, but have considered trying it. These are groove free, so meant to be coated.

That looks like what I need. I will order one in the next few weeks.
Thank you very much,
Roger
twcrowe12
Silent But Deadly

Post by twcrowe12 »

I've been curious about that mold for some time. Do us a favor and report back when you've had a chance to load and shoot some!
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

excess650 wrote:I haven't shot these, but have considered trying it. These are groove free, so meant to be coated.

Those look interesting, but if it's in an AR15, you really should be using gas checks to avoid gas cutting of the bullet base as it passes the gas port.

NOE does have a ~150gr gas check design that looks basically like the one above, but with a lube groove and gas check. I have the four cavity version; it seems to be a decent bullet although I still end up using my older Lee 155gr most of the time anyway.
475AR

Post by 475AR »

yondering wrote:

Those look interesting, but if it's in an AR15, you really should be using gas checks to avoid gas cutting of the bullet base as it passes the gas port.

NOE does have a ~150gr gas check design that looks basically like the one above, but with a lube groove and gas check. I have the four cavity version; it seems to be a decent bullet although I still end up using my older Lee 155gr most of the time anyway.
That NOE bullet is for powder coating or Hi-tek coated, which acts as a lubricant and a jacket. I have shot tons of coated bullets in my AR and no issues with the gas system.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

yondering's reply was more to do with potential inaccuracy issues more than the gas system. Almost all that I shoot are full throttle supers (cast), so I have similar concerns.
Black Rifles Matter
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

475AR wrote:
yondering wrote:

That NOE bullet is for powder coating or Hi-tek coated, which acts as a lubricant and a jacket. I have shot tons of coated bullets in my AR and no issues with the gas system.
Good for you, but you're still getting gas cutting in one specific location on the bullet base. I've shot thousands of coated bullets too, as well as recovered and examined many of them; I'm not making this up based on a theory. It's bad for accuracy, unless you're running pressures low enough to avoid gas cutting.

Have you pulled the bolt and cleaned out the carrier inside? If not, there's probably more lead/carbon buildup than you realize.
475AR

Post by 475AR »

[/quote] Good for you, but you're still getting gas cutting in one specific location on the bullet base. I've shot thousands of coated bullets too, as well as recovered and examined many of them; I'm not making this up based on a theory. It's bad for accuracy, unless you're running pressures low enough to avoid gas cutting.

Have you pulled the bolt and cleaned out the carrier inside? If not, there's probably more lead/carbon buildup than you realize.[/quote]

Yes I clean the bolt and carrier after each outing and while there is crud it is not as bad as when I run cheap ammo or surplus (pistol caliber and 223) I also do not run max loads the majority of what I shoot is subsonic handloads. I am happy with the performance and accuracy I get with my HI-tek coated cast bullets.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

475AR wrote:
Yes I clean the bolt and carrier after each outing and while there is crud it is not as bad as when I run cheap ammo or surplus (pistol caliber and 223) I also do not run max loads the majority of what I shoot is subsonic handloads. I am happy with the performance and accuracy I get with my HI-tek coated cast bullets.
As I have said, plain base is fine for subsonic loads, so I'm not sure what you're trying to correct me on. Using plain base for high pressure supers is where you'll run into problems. The bullet linked above is of a weight generally used for supersonic loads.