Asking here!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

BillJ
Silent Operator

Re: Asking here!

Post by BillJ »

bdill wrote: This type of stuff scares me. Is there any other way to clean our cans without causing cancer?
Cleaning rifle suppressrs is not something you really need to do. For the most part, the minimal carbon buildup over time is not an issue. You could I guess plug and sea foam (engine carbon remover) soak. Ive shot a zillion rounds through my YHM Phantom without any cleaning what so ever.

Removing lead is a completely different story.
Never shoot 22lr through a non user serviceable suppressor, and it shouldn't ever come up.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

bdill wrote:This type of stuff scares me. Is there any other way to clean our cans without causing cancer?
A few known carcinogens from cancer.org:
Alcohol
Leather dust
Diesel exhaust
Human papilloma virus
Processed meat
Salted fish
Wood dust
Glyphosate (Round Up)

Do you drink, have sex, build things out of wood, drive a diesel, wear leather, eat processed meat, and/or kill weeds in your yard? Sounds like probably 99% of this forum.

Most definitely lead acetate is not good for you, but its dangers have been way overblown around the shooting forums. It's even FDA approved for use in hair coloring products such as Grecian Formula. Yes, you can walk into any supermarket and buy a lead acetate product to apply to your head.

Wear gloves, don't drink it, and you'll be fine. When you're done, allow the liquid to evaporate, then properly dispose of the small amount of remaining solid. One option would be to scrape it into an old car battery that will eventually be recycled.

Edit: When you're done, add an Epsom salt solution to precipitate out the lead as lead sulfate. Barely soluble in water, must less dangerous. Then allow to dry and dispose of properly.
Last edited by bangbangping on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

BillJ wrote:
bdill wrote: This type of stuff scares me. Is there any other way to clean our cans without causing cancer?
Cleaning rifle suppressrs is not something you really need to do. For the most part, the minimal carbon buildup over time is not an issue. You could I guess plug and sea foam (engine carbon remover) soak. Ive shot a zillion rounds through my YHM Phantom without any cleaning what so ever.

Removing lead is a completely different story.
Never shoot 22lr through a non user serviceable suppressor, and it shouldn't ever come up.
That's the thing though, I'm planning on shooting pc'd cast through my omega.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

bangbangping wrote:
bdill wrote:This type of stuff scares me. Is there any other way to clean our cans without causing cancer?
A few known carcinogens from cancer.org:
Alcohol
Leather dust
Diesel exhaust
Human papilloma virus
Processed meat
Salted fish
Wood dust
Glyphosate (Round Up)

Do you drink, have sex, build things out of wood, drive a diesel, wear leather, eat processed meat, and/or kill weeds in your yard? Sounds like probably 99% of this forum.

Most definitely lead acetate is not good for you, but its dangers have been way overblown around the shooting forums. It's even FDA approved for use in hair coloring products such as Grecian Formula. Yes, you can walk into any supermarket and buy a lead acetate product to apply to your head.

Wear gloves, don't drink it, and you'll be fine. When you're done, allow the liquid to evaporate, then properly dispose of the small amount of remaining solid. One option would be to scrape it into an old car battery that will eventually be recycled.
I understand most everything can cause cancer in today's world I even dealt with chemicals used to prep tires when I raced dirt ovals for 8 years and a lot of that was pretty potent stuff. I'm also pretty sure that what you listed up there is not any where near as lethal as the lead acetate result from the dip due to the amount, concentration, and what it actually is (wood dust vs lead acetate isn't really in the same league). I'm not arguing and I could be wrong but if every where I read about something says how dangerous (and with good reason) this stuff is then I tend to take warning.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

whatever you do, never diagnose yourself, or your family with webMD - otherwise you're all doomed! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BillJ
Silent Operator

Post by BillJ »

bdill wrote: That's the thing though, I'm planning on shooting pc'd cast through my omega.
PC bullets are way different than 22lr.
22lr is essentially spitting molten lead into the suppressor.

Like I said before 700+ rounds of leatherheads through my suppressor and a very tiny amount of lead. With the minimal amount I have, I don't foresee the need for dip for years to come.

200 rounds of cci 22lr and it is time to dip or scrape the first few baffles.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

BillJ wrote:Never shoot 22lr through a non user serviceable suppressor, and it shouldn't ever come up.
This is not an absolute fact.
There are manufactures out there that actually make "non user serviceable suppressors" specifically designed for rimfire use.
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/22s-1
Zak Smith wrote:Many people believe that suppressors need to be kept very clean to perform well. This is not true.

All of our silencers are sealed and welded, and cannot be taken apart. We do this to produce the strongest, lightest, and smallest suppressor, since adding threads would compromise one of more of those factors. In addition, the full 360-degree welded baffle core featured in most of our centerfire suppressors could not be taken apart anyway. We also do this to ensure long-term accuracy and reliability of the product.

Our centerfire rifle suppressors need minimal cleaning in most applications. The only "gunk" they accumulate is some carbon buildup, which is self-limiting since each shot will knock some loose. We recommend taking a baseline weight measurement when the suppressor is new. When the suppressor has gained approx 2-3 ounces, it's time to clean.

This can be accomplished using CLR (a ZEP product - find at Home Depot) to dissolve the carbon. Soak the inside of the suppressor in ZEP and flush it every day for several days. Alternating with an Ultrasonic cleaner can help to break up stubborn carbon. Do not use CLR in an ultrasonic cleaner - it will damage the tank.

The rimfire suppressors will collect some carbon/lead/wax buildup over long periods of time, but most people will never see any performance impact because of this. A moderately fouled .22 suppressor is usually quieter than a totally clean one, too. Eventually, you will see the weight of the suppressor increase slightly due to accumulated fouling. Long after this, you might be able to tell a difference in suppression due to decreased volume, but it will take a huge number of rounds to get to that point.

Unlike suppressors made of some other materials, our all-titanium silencers can be cleaned very effectively without taking them apart, by using one of two methods: (1) drop it in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes, alternating with soaking the inside with ZEP, or (2) use the widely-known "vinegar and peroxide" method. Both of these will clean anything out that's in the suppressor.

Appropriate precautions and disposal methods must be taken with the output of these processes because it is toxic.

We offer one free cleaning per year in our ultrasonic cleaner if the customer covers shipping.

For what it's worth, I never clean my personal or "demo" suppressors, even when shooting matches throughout the year.
https://thunderbeastarms.com/forum/thre ... w-often.4/

I personally use my 5.56 suppressor on my 22lr without reservation.
After a couple 30 round mags of 5.56, all the rimfire fouling is blown out.
It makes a hell of a mess of my mounts though...
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

35,000psi is another guide for when a gas check may be desirable and it can be reached in subsonic bullet.

My Omega is noticeably quieter clean... but then I attribute it to the thin film of silicon oil acting as an ablative :)

I love shooting little rocks with FMJ suppers in my 308 PA10 suppressed. It's better than Tanonite and the sand pit never runs out. But if you soak the flash hider of your "sub" gun clean and it looks like the wrapper off a piece of gum, well, you gota believe that lead will eventually get the best of you. Clean it or not. That little bit of lead bothers me, not so much now that I know I can remove it, but you should know, that even long season of little rock shooting with the 308, leaves some pretty big chucks of carbon in there too.

Lead is truly bad for young children with developing brains. The rest of us, well not so much, but most of us have children or grand kids around. So caution is warranted but fear is irrational.