NOE HP 311-247-FN RG4

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: NOE HP 311-247-FN RG4

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

After some of my own experimentation I made a 22lr die that would expand the bullet to better fit a sporter chamber and at the same time I could reshape the nose to whatever shape I wanted. I even had a Hydrashock profile for them. I had an EPS style nose and a VERY large and VERY deep hollow point for single shots. It would literally explode on contact with water. The Hydrashock ones performed pretty close to what I would expect.

A long time goal of mine is to build a squeeze bore 22. That is you use a .20 or .17 or even .14 bore barrels. Then you chamber it using a 22lr reamer with a long throat. When you fire it swages the bullet down to the smaller bore size before pressures get too crazy. A guy in Australia came up with the idea and after winning a lot of matches they were outlawed from competition. The guys said that by taking the stubby 22 and lengthening it the bullets were more accurate and had much better ballistics.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

yondering wrote:My concern is not so much the size of the cavity itself, but the amount of material around it.

I have a very successful bullet of similar profile, but in 35 cal, that I've tuned to work perfectly with wheelweight alloy. I ended up shaping the hollow point quite differently after much experimentation.
Well, turns out you just may know a little bit of which you speak. :mrgreen: I ran one of these straight through a gel block yesterday. Nary a wobble or a hint of expansion. Bummer. Have an email in to Al to see if he can provide some larger pins. If not, I may be looking for someone with a lathe who likes to turn little things. After using this mold, I can't go back to the single pin system.

Edit: Got a quick response from Al. Aside from the pins provided, he only offers blank pins. Ideas welcome. If anyone who has a lathe would be willing to machine some new pins I'd be happy to supply measurements and pay whatever their time is worth. Can get blank pins if needed from NOE.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I think this would work, assuming it's straighter than my drawing:
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

bangbangping wrote:
yondering wrote:My concern is not so much the size of the cavity itself, but the amount of material around it.

I have a very successful bullet of similar profile, but in 35 cal, that I've tuned to work perfectly with wheelweight alloy. I ended up shaping the hollow point quite differently after much experimentation.
Well, turns out you just may know a little bit of which you speak. :mrgreen: I ran one of these straight through a gel block yesterday. Nary a wobble or a hint of expansion. Bummer. Have an email in to Al to see if he can provide some larger pins. If not, I may be looking for someone with a lathe who likes to turn little things. After using this mold, I can't go back to the single pin system.

Edit: Got a quick response from Al. Aside from the pins provided, he only offers blank pins. Ideas welcome. If anyone who has a lathe would be willing to machine some new pins I'd be happy to supply measurements and pay whatever their time is worth. Can get blank pins if needed from NOE.
Shoot me a PM if you want. Not bragging, but I've done a lot of hollow point experimenting, more than most mold makers judging from what I see for sale, and my pins didn't magically show up at my doorstep. :mrgreen:

I can make whatever you want per a drawing, or you can just ask me to make it work right (my preference) and I'll get it done. I'll want the mold for a couple weeks though, as I'd want to tune the pins to work best with that bullet.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

I'm interested to see where this goes. I've got the non HP version I was thinking of sending out to have pins added. My suspicion is that it's a bit to heavy construction for expansion.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I have a lathe so if anyone needs help let me know. I bet I could do several different profiles too. I have built pins to create a hydro shock profile in 22 lr bullets so something as big as this would be simple to do.

And if someone has the dimensions I can make some pins to try. That is stuff I really enjoy making and testing.

I will hollow point my heavy weight bullet when I get to the final version.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I have a lathe so if anyone needs help let me know. I bet I could do several different profiles too. I have built pins to create a hydro shock profile in 22 lr bullets so something as big as this would be simple to do.

And if someone has the dimensions I can make some pins to try. That is stuff I really enjoy making and testing.

I will hollow point my heavy weight bullet when I get to the final version.
Dolomite, I think my drawing above would be a good starting point. All dimensions except the cone portion were taken from existing pins supplied with the mold. The original HP portion measured 0.120" x 0.4" instead of the 0.170 X 0.500" you see in the drawing. Yondering is working with my mold, but I bet gds for one would be interested in some new, bigger pins.
ka30270

Post by ka30270 »

Any update on this? I have one of these molds and have been trying to cast with pure lead and 2% tin. Mold fill out is kind of tough and it would be nice if straight WW would provide good expansion.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

ka30270 wrote:Any update on this? I have one of these molds and have been trying to cast with pure lead and 2% tin. Mold fill out is kind of tough and it would be nice if straight WW would provide good expansion.
Too much stuff going on. I finally got around to casting some with a bigger pin but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. WW will not expand with the mold as shipped. This bullet needs a bigger hole. If you're having trouble with fillout, try preheating the mold and pins, and raise your lead temp.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

OK, finally got a chance to test it out. Mushroom nirvana. Can't see how it could get any better than this.

The bullet disrupted the gel pretty well for a hollow point at ~950 fps. In went through 16", two milk jugs, and stopped about an inch into my bin of shredded rubber mulch. No tumbling at all.

This is with an alloy that's fairly close to WW, with about 3.5% tin, calculated BHN 11.7.
Thanks, Yondering!
(sorry for the crappy phone pics)