NOE HP 311-247-FN RG4

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: NOE HP 311-247-FN RG4

Post by bangbangping »

So what's the trick for getting the bullets off the pins? I'm guessing the accuracy isn't going to be so good with the bases crushed from the pliers. :lol:
Friar_Tuck

Post by Friar_Tuck »

I put a good layer of smoke on the pins, and give the mold a whack with an oak mallet when it is open.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Friar_Tuck wrote:I put a good layer of smoke on the pins, and give the mold a whack with an oak mallet when it is open.
Believe me, I whacked. :lol: We're talking stuck. I couldn't pull them off with a gloved hand.

I smoked the pins with an acetylene torch and they sort of dropped off once then right back to requiring pliers. Trolled castbullets for a while and the consensus (among many other suggestions) seems to be run 'em hot. That's sort of a catch 22...it's hard to go fast enough to get/keep the mold hot when you have to pull the bullets off.
Last edited by bangbangping on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kokodog
Silent Operator

Post by Kokodog »

put a drop of sprue plate lube on a q-tip,

put a ultra thin coat of it on each pin, careful not too much

keep the pins hot, (even if you have to use a torch to get them up to heat)
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Finally got back around to this. Scrubbed the mold, applied a very light coat of Drop Out, heated the mold before casting, and it worked like a charm.

These are some nice looking bullets. Anybody shot them yet?
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I have shot thousands without a hollow point and they are great.

But wait until the next version of mine comes in. Should be great and the heaviest bullet for the 300 Blackout.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

bangbangping wrote:Finally got back around to this. Scrubbed the mold, applied a very light coat of Drop Out, heated the mold before casting, and it worked like a charm.

The more permanent fix for sticking hollow point pins is to polish them. Not NOE specifically, but any hollow point pin that sticks. Or, grind more angle into them.

Before I had a lathe, I always polished my hollow point pins by spinning them in a cordless drill on some fine sandpaper in my fingers.

Anybody shot these yet? Do you get decent expansion? The hollow point cavities look a bit narrow to me, but I havent' tried them. Compared to my other hollow point experiments, these look like they'll expand with pure lead but not with wheelweight alloy.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:But wait until the next version of mine comes in.
I'm awaitin'. :mrgreen:
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

yondering wrote:
bangbangping wrote:Finally got back around to this. Scrubbed the mold, applied a very light coat of Drop Out, heated the mold before casting, and it worked like a charm.

The more permanent fix for sticking hollow point pins is to polish them. Not NOE specifically, but any hollow point pin that sticks. Or, grind more angle into them.

Before I had a lathe, I always polished my hollow point pins by spinning them in a cordless drill on some fine sandpaper in my fingers.

Anybody shot these yet? Do you get decent expansion? The hollow point cavities look a bit narrow to me, but I havent' tried them. Compared to my other hollow point experiments, these look like they'll expand with pure lead but not with wheelweight alloy.
The hollow point is very close to the one you see in my avatar. [Edit:old avatar] Those expand fine with my alloy that's 3.3% tin and ~2.1% Sb. With something closer to wheel weights the hollow point portion would break off. If nobody else pipes up I'll do some testing in the next week or two.
Last edited by bangbangping on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

My concern is not so much the size of the cavity itself, but the amount of material around it.

I have a very successful bullet of similar profile, but in 35 cal, that I've tuned to work perfectly with wheelweight alloy. I ended up shaping the hollow point quite differently after much experimentation.