Custom sub bullet design, 220gr

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

pj-schmidt
Silent Operator

Re: Custom sub bullet design, 220gr

Post by pj-schmidt »

wlc wrote:You could also go to NOE molds and buy one of his molds that are basically what you are seeking. I have a similar one to what he sells from another maker and really like it. It is basically a copy of the Lee mold without all the bad features.

As to the stock Lee mold, I bought one and have not had good luck with bullets cast from it. I never could get mine to shoot much better than patterns. As soon as I found a group buy on a similar mold I jumped on it and have been more than satisfied. I'm sure the NOE mold is as good, or probably better than the one I have from ACE.
Just buying a perfect mold defeats the purpose of doing something for the fun of it.

After reading a dozen pages of discussion on the Lee mold, I am confident it can be modified as I describe above to create bullets that shoot acceptably. I have the skills and equipment to do it with a high degree of precision... and some times I like to do things the hard way... ;-)

My preference would still be to make my own cavities just for the fun of it, but I'm under motivated at the moment to make my own blanks. This could change yet...