What mold are you guys using?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Ohioan

What mold are you guys using?

Post by Ohioan »

I've been reading a lot, and seeing a lot of references to "the NOE mold" and references to other molds. But the only thing I can find out for sure is that the commonly available Lee mold is a no go.

What molds are you guys using for 300 bo? I'm looking for specific manufacturer and product number information.

My interest is in subsonics. I will be powder coating them. What else is there out there?
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Re: What mold are you guys using?

Post by 80hp »

I am using the NOE 311-230-FN plain base. This is a clone of the Lee 230 with all the BAD removed!
It can be ordered plain base or gas check. At subsonic velocities the gas check is unneeded.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... ts_id=2355
It is capable of 1 inch groups at 50 meters.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I'm using NOE 311 247 FN, but with one cavity drilled for a Lyman style HP pin. I don't see that particular mold on his site any more. Sized to .311 and powder coated, it shoots pretty well. IIRC, this is the same bullet that gds uses for killin' stuff, but he drills out the hollow point.
Alex Wilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alex Wilson »

Why is the Lee mold so bad? I use Lee for my pistol casting and have zero issues with them. I haven't bought a .308 mold yet but have a Lee in my Amazon shopping cart. Thanks
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Most Lee Molds are very good. The Lee 230 for the blackout, well not so much.

Of the 3 I have purchased since its introduction. None have been what they should have been.

All 3, the front driving band has been less then .304.

One would cast completely out of round. .309 one way, turn the calipers 90 degrees and .304.

The " boat tail" simply adds more problems then it solves.

Most of my Molds are lee, and I like them. The 230 .309, Lee simply cannot get right. And if you research it. My results are common.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

Accurate 31-220T 3 cavity

throws a .311 sized plain base double lube groove bullet that I can either shoot lubed or PC depending on if I am running a can or not.
farright

Post by farright »

Alex Wilson wrote:Why is the Lee mold so bad? I use Lee for my pistol casting and have zero issues with them. I haven't bought a .308 mold yet but have a Lee in my Amazon shopping cart. Thanks
I have been casting bullets for almost 50 years, that doesn't make me an expert as I still am learning.
now to answer your questions. lee moulds don't hold up they wear out very fast. the top of the mould galls ( gets gouges in it from spure plate ) sometimes this can be avoided by taking the mould apart and deburring the spure plate. they soon wear out to the point that bullets are not round, as they don't close in line with both cavities. The one good thing about lee moulds is if you are not sure what to buy you can order a lee mould in the weight and style you think you want and give it a try for very little money. that still costs more than buying a quality mould to begin with. if you buy a quality mould and it doesn't shoot well you can get most of your money back on e-bay. buy quality and you won't be unhappy. the blackout is a strange cartridge, first decide what you want a heavy bullet at subsonic or a light bullet supersonic. then buy a mould that fills the requirement of what you are after. Be real careful or you will wind up like me and own over a hundred different moulds and use most of them. a bullet that shoots well in one rifle might not in another.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

I've cast tons (literally) of bullets and have used lots of different brands of moulds, old and new, brass, iron, steel, and aluminum. Aluminum is the softest, so most easily damaged. Any mould needs to be treated as a precision tool, and that means doing the simple maintenance that allows them to work easily. Some will need minor deburring from new. All seem to work better after a casting session or two as it takes a little time for the cavities to oxidize, and then the bullets will fill out better. Sometimes they will need vent lines opened, or simply loosening the sprue plate a little to allow air to escape, and they ALL need lubrication. Synthetic 2 cycle engine oil is excellent for this purpose, and it is sparingly applied to the tops of the blocks/underside of the sprue cutter, sprue cutter pivot bolt, and the alignment pins. Between deburring, sprue cutter tension adjustment, and lubrication, galling can be prevented.

As for knocking some brands, consider that some brands are/were made to a price point. Lee moulds are generally the least expensive, but can be quite excellent with a little care. They have changed their blocks and alignment arrangement over the past few years, but I have some of the old style single and double cavity moulds that have cast many thousands of bullets in the 30+ years that I've had them.
Black Rifles Matter
Chandler729

Post by Chandler729 »

Accurate 31-240 EZ hands down awesomeness.

the Lee mold works ok when I use about 5% tin.

But the accurate mold drops freely every time and all I do is just put a 1/2 lb of tin per 20lbs of lead and it's pretty good.

Powder coated of course. I've thought about drilling a hollow point into them but haven't gotten around to it yet.
farright

Post by farright »

ok i was a bit harsh on Lee moulds, because of my personal experience. now I think those of us who started with iron moulds possibly use them in a fashion that is too rough on them. lee uses the cheapest easist to machine aluminum that is to machine but it is flat too soft to hold up anywhere like an iron mould. opps I forgot noe accurate mould co mountain moulds and nei all use aluminum but a much higher grade. i have no issue with any except lee moulds. i like to save money and would buy lee in a minute if they held up. i do have half a dozen lee moulds i would sell but they really are not worth much.
this is an opinion and not intended to up set anyone who has had good experience with lee moulds. you pays your money and you take your chances.