Gas Checks Y/N in Subsonic 300 BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gas Checks Y/N in Subsonic 300 BLK

Post by dellet »

ProdigalSun wrote:Thanks. LASC is an amazing site, I've spent many hours reading and referencing the materials over there.

BTW... I noticed the Accurate 1680 at 18 grains, which should be supersonic, pretty much fills the case. With the 163 gr GC cast bullet I'm runing for supers, the powder is almost touching the gas check, ...This is ok right? The charts did show it as a compressed load, but never having done this before, it makes me a little uneasy.
Yes, that will be a super sonic load. Somewhere near the 1800 fps range in a 16" barrel. Make sure that you check that your overall length will fit in your chamber.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

Im concerned about compressing the powder. You make little pipe bombs by compressing powder...
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ProdigalSun wrote:Im concerned about compressing the powder. You make little pipe bombs by compressing powder...

Then don't do it until you have the experience to feel comfortable with it.

Without knowing the profile of the bullet you are using, I would be more worried about a pressure spike from jamming the bullet into the lands than compressing 1680. It is a pretty forgiving powder in this cartridge.

Take a look at Accurate's load data on page 47. Every load for every bullet weight is compressed using 1680.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-conten ... 16_Web.pdf

Work out the seated depth of the bullets they are using and match that with your bullet.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Dr.Phil wrote:FWIW,

Gas checks were designed to stop gas cutting of the bullet base when pressures / velocities cross a certain threshold. (usually around 1,500 fps)
If you are interested in reading more on gas checks and all things regarding cast projectiles, check out this free E-Book:
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf
fantastic link! saved and downloaded to my tablet for perusing later! thank you!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

I live in Oakland County too. Waterford.
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

ProdigalSun wrote:I live in Oakland County too. Waterford.
i used to live (and work) in waterford. my condolences :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

Lol, I hear ya.
NFA Not F**king American