Strange source of bullet lead?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Strange source of bullet lead?

Post by KneverKnew »

I figured, waist not, want not.
Please don't laugh to hard at this question, but I just have to ask if anybody has considered this as a viable source of lead for casting bullets, assuming it can be done safely.

I have an old, useless APC battery backup for computers and electronics. It's basically a surge suppressor/power strip with a big, heavy battery built in. You know the type.

I'm wondering, since it is so heavy, is it full of lead? If so, does anyone think it can be safely extracted (avoiding any acid or other internal hazards) and melted down for casting bullets? Do you think it would be pure lead? Would need to add some Tin in that case.

So once you all quit laughing, please chime in. Thanks.
cornmastah

Re: Strange source of bullet lead?

Post by cornmastah »

KneverKnew wrote:I figured, waist not, want not.
Please don't laugh to hard at this question, but I just have to ask if anybody has considered this as a viable source of lead for casting bullets, assuming it can be done safely.

I have an old, useless APC battery backup for computers and electronics. It's basically a surge suppressor/power strip with a big, heavy battery built in. You know the type.

I'm wondering, since it is so heavy, is it full of lead? If so, does anyone think it can be safely extracted (avoiding any acid or other internal hazards) and melted down for casting bullets? Do you think it would be pure lead? Would need to add some Tin in that case.

So once you all quit laughing, please chime in. Thanks.
The quick answer is no. Don't try to use it. There are several posts on the castboolits forums which discuss this in depth, but for your safety, don't do it.

Here is one of the links that talks about using battery lead: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... -Dangerous
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Strange source of bullet lead?

Post by plant.one »

lets just say theres a good reason you dont read about it as THE source for home smelted lead.

as the link posted says, leave recycling car batteries to the pros.

FWIW though, that recycled lead is one of the main sources for the lead in many commercially produced bullets
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.