Which mold to get for subs?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

mr fixit

Which mold to get for subs?

Post by mr fixit »

I see lots of threads about .309 vs .311, and Lee vs NOE. But I don't see any real clear answers to which one to get. I'm looking to cast heavies to load as subs for an AR. I need them to feed and be reasonably accurate. I plan to powder coat and shoot through a suppressor.

Is there a clear winner in which mold to get?

I dont mind some small mods to make them work.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which mold to get for subs?

Post by Dr.Phil »

My vote is for the NOE 311365 - 198 grain Spire Point
They have been 100% reliable in my 10" Noveske.

For subs, you should be fine with the non gas checked version.
I have done them both tumble lubed and PC.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
mr fixit

Post by mr fixit »

Dr.Phil wrote:My vote is for the NOE 311365 - 198 grain Spire Point
Thanks. Now that you have answered the question I asked, let me ask this since it just occurred to me; What about using that bullet and adding a hollow point to it? Will it loose too much weight?
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Adding a hollow point would have two significant draw backs.
1. It would no longer have a shape the lends itself to reliable feeding in an AR.
2. The reduced weight would make it less ideal as a subsonic projectile.

If you are looking for a hollow point mould for subsonic 300 BLK, I would recommend the 311-247-FN RG2 cavity GC (Whisper).
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... ncd319fbn7

Caveat:
Some rifles will not feed this projectile well and it will also have issues in P-Mags.
--Mark Twain
twcrowe12
Silent But Deadly

Post by twcrowe12 »

I shot the LEE for two years then had to send it back for replacement because the alignment pins kept walking out. The replacement mold I got is really quick undersized so I plan to get rid of it. I picked up the NOE 311-247-FN mold and have had no feeding or undersized problems whatsoever. It's also easy to get it to cycle subsonic.
mr fixit

Post by mr fixit »

twcrowe12 wrote:I shot the LEE for two years then had to send it back for replacement because the alignment pins kept walking out. The replacement mold I got is really quick undersized so I plan to get rid of it. I picked up the NOE 311-247-FN mold and have had no feeding or undersized problems whatsoever. It's also easy to get it to cycle subsonic.
I really like the price of the LEE mold, especially since I am just getting started and have to purchase virtually everything at once. But I have read of the troubles they have with the mold. I guess it is not easy to just drill to .311 to fix it?

I may need to forget about hollow points at first, and just worry about getting some useable molds to get started loading.
irishtexan

Post by irishtexan »

Dr.Phil wrote:Adding a hollow point would have two significant draw backs.
1. It would no longer have a shape the lends itself to reliable feeding in an AR.
2. The reduced weight would make it less ideal as a subsonic projectile.

If you are looking for a hollow point mould for subsonic 300 BLK, I would recommend the 311-247-FN RG2 cavity GC (Whisper).
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... ncd319fbn7

Caveat:
Some rifles will not feed this projectile well and it will also have issues in P-Mags.
Why do you need a gas checked bullet if your going to shoot sub sonic?
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

irishtexan wrote:Why do you need a gas checked bullet if your going to shoot sub sonic?
You don't...
They mould is available with or without GC.
This bullet isn't exclusive to 300 BLK and some folks want to run them supersonic.
Then there are others that like to run GC on all cast boolits no mater what.
--Mark Twain
irishtexan

Post by irishtexan »

Dr.Phil wrote:
irishtexan wrote:Why do you need a gas checked bullet if your going to shoot sub sonic?
You don't...
They mould is available with or without GC.
This bullet isn't exclusive to 300 BLK and some folks want to run them supersonic.
Then there are others that like to run GC on all cast boolits no mater what.
Thanks for the info Dr. Phil.
twcrowe12
Silent But Deadly

Post by twcrowe12 »

mr fixit wrote:
twcrowe12 wrote:I shot the LEE for two years then had to send it back for replacement because the alignment pins kept walking out. The replacement mold I got is really quick undersized so I plan to get rid of it. I picked up the NOE 311-247-FN mold and have had no feeding or undersized problems whatsoever. It's also easy to get it to cycle subsonic.
I really like the price of the LEE mold, especially since I am just getting started and have to purchase virtually everything at once. But I have read of the troubles they have with the mold. I guess it is not easy to just drill to .311 to fix it?

I may need to forget about hollow points at first, and just worry about getting some useable molds to get started loading.

Yeah the price point is very attractive but if the mold wont work for what you need.....