New bullet design with a waist for Magpul magazines

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

New bullet design with a waist for Magpul magazines

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

So here is the bullet I decided to make this morning. It will end up being 1.30-1.35" long and should weigh in the 230-235 grain weight range depending on alloy. The nose will be a bore rider portion at 300" and the rear portion will be whatever the bore needs. The waist is .240" wide and .160" long.

This is to be used with a Magpul magazine. It will work with others but with others it may bind like a regular bullet. With a Magpul magazine and when loaded to 2.25"-2.26"there is ZERO binding. Even when riding on the side rib it will not bind on the front rib or vice versa. In the pictures it is seated to an OAL of 2.26".

The ONLY thing that worried me is bending at the waist when chambering. The bore will support the nose so it will not bend from centrifugal force. So to test this I took both the Lee 230 and the Accurate 225B and cut .23" waists into them. I then seated them to magazine length and chambered them not once or twice but about a dozen times each checking each after chambering. There was ZERO bending even though the noses of both bullets ended up very deformed.

I will say that this thing chambers like a champ with no binding or FTF issues what so ever.

I welcome questions and comments. If we get enough interest and we get it finalized to everyone's liking I will send this to NOE for a group buy.

And here is a ton of pictures:
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
cboger

Re: New bullet design with a waist for Magpul magazines

Post by cboger »

Im no where near as intelligent as you on bullet designs, but I think it would be easier to modify the magazine instead of basing a bullet around it.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Very interesting solution.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Problem is when you modify a magazine for the blackout you end up removing all the good things about the magazine. Anti tilt followers will no longer work with the internal ribs removed. You also kill the resale value. But wait magazines are cheap, well they may not be some day just like two years ago when Magpul magazines were selling for $100. And I have yet to figure out a way to remove the entire rib, at most I can get about 1.5" in so when you load a magazine all the way up you get binding again or a reduced capacity. I have plenty of milspec magazines that I milled the rib out as well and they work fine but I do not want to make sure I grab a modified magazine to shoot my Blackout.

I may reach out to some of those manufacturers who are making an all copper or brass bullet to see what they say. But at .75 a bullet they will no longer be plinking bullets.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Post by takiniteasy88 »

So is this a cast you have come up with or did you just mill this to show what it would look like?
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

takiniteasy88 wrote:So is this a cast you have come up with or did you just mill this to show what it would look like?
This is one I made out of aluminum to make sure the dimensions were good. If I get enough interest I will have NOE make a run of them.

I understand people's reluctance after the CoD bullet but this one is a different design that should work well.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....just a thought... instead of those near 90 degree edges on the rear most 2 steps that potentiality could catch on the front edge of the mag, a tapered slope instead? ...It would also strengthen the bullet in that area to prevent the bending you mentioned...
takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Post by takiniteasy88 »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
takiniteasy88 wrote:So is this a cast you have come up with or did you just mill this to show what it would look like?
This is one I made out of aluminum to make sure the dimensions were good. If I get enough interest I will have NOE make a run of them.

I understand people's reluctance after the CoD bullet but this one is a different design that should work well.
If you get some made up I would like to do some testing.
takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Post by takiniteasy88 »

Oh and just the way I like them 36-24-36 :mrgreen:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

takiniteasy88 wrote:Oh and just the way I like them 36-24-36 :mrgreen:
only if she 5'3 :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.