New bullet design with a waist for Magpul magazines

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

sucker76
Senior Silent Operator

Re: New bullet design with a waist for Magpul magazines

Post by sucker76 »

I think that is what Popper is referring to is to turn down the nose of the bullet in front of the notch so it doesn't engage the riffling. Correct me if I'm wrong Popper.
Stamp collecting since 2015
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

sucker76 wrote:I think that is what Popper is referring to is to turn down the nose of the bullet in front of the notch so it doesn't engage the riffling. Correct me if I'm wrong Popper.
Then I suspect the nose will bend from centrifugal force, not going down that road again.

Also, if the front and back are spinning at the same rate I do not see it being an issue. The groove is nothing more than a lube groove. It has the same dimensions as lube grooves on a lot of bullets.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Correct, if the nose engages hard it may exert a lot of torsion on the groove (weakest part) BEFORE the rear starts spinning. Most lube grooves are at the rear, not front. Just a thought.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

The front is a bore rider and will not engage the rifling, just ride on it.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

Any idea what a bullet shaped like this might do when it hits gelatin, game animal, or a varmint?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

sucker76 wrote:From personal experience I have had no issues with GI mags that I put Magpul anti-tilt followers in.
I may be a minority on this but they work for me.
Same with me.
The issue I still have is having a projectile with a nose pointy enough to feed with 100% reliability.
I'm very happy with the NOE 198 Grain Spire Point.
For a cast bullet for subsonic plinking, the NOE is the ticket.

FWIW, the COD bullet is not dead to me yet.
I've been trying some things and have gotten some promising results.
As soon as I'm done with the test protocol, I will post up any noteworthy results in your COD thread.

DS,
Please keep innovating.
I appreciate the efforts you make and love to see technical creativity at work!
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
aguila327

Post by aguila327 »

Is this really necessary. Seems like a lot of work just to use P-mags. I've been problem free using GI and Lancer mags. Although I'll adit that I have not run subs through my rifle. I'm strictly a super shooter.

I'll give the OP his props for thinking outside the box.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

aguila327 wrote:Is this really necessary. Seems like a lot of work just to use P-mags. I've been problem free using GI and Lancer mags. Although I'll adit that I have not run subs through my rifle. I'm strictly a super shooter.

I'll give the OP his props for thinking outside the box.
Shooting lightweight bullets are not the problem. I have shot a lot of lightweight bullets out of about every magazine out there without issue. But when you start shooting 220+ grain bullets you either have to seat them deeper to ensure reliable feeding but loose powder capacity or to keep capacity seat them long and have feeding issues.

There are not any 230+ grain cast bullets that reliably feed from magazines unless the magazines are modified.

Using cast bullets keeps cost down to less than any other commercially available ammunition including 22 long rifle. My subsonic loads using cast bullets cost me 4.4 cents a shot. And the only cast bullets that do feed from magazines are limited by their weight because of feeding issues.

I really wish a magazine maker would make a 300 Blackout magazine that uses a follower similar to that in AK magazines.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
grunt79

Post by grunt79 »

Wilson combat sells or sold their version of "clear" magazine deribbed and labeled for their 7.62x40 cartridge. However, I have had terrible experiences with them
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

The front is a bore rider and will not engage the rifling, just ride on it.
Good. The mag that came with my BO was like the W.C. didn't even work with cast supers. Worked OK with 168 Amaxs, like the rest of my mags.