I just made this bullet

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

md80captain

Re: I just made this bullet

Post by md80captain »

Well I made another batch pretty much same process except I gas checked them. In 30-06 ran them up to a little over 2000 fps with no issues and pretty good accuracy. I still have not tried them in BO since I don't have any powder yet. Waiting on a deal.
Piep
Silent But Deadly

Post by Piep »

Did you size them before powder coat?
There's a time for compromise. It's called later.

Politically Correct;
A term used for Whiny, overly sensitive Pansies
who need everything Sugar- Coated for them.
md80captain

Post by md80captain »

Piep wrote:Did you size them before powder coat?
Only because I wanted to crimp the GC so they would not fall off while tumbling. I then sized them again after PC.
Piep
Silent But Deadly

Post by Piep »

md80captain wrote:
Piep wrote:Did you size them before powder coat?
Only because I wanted to crimp the GC so they would not fall off while tumbling. I then sized them again after PC.
Ok, thanks, I was wondering as I have never powder coated bullets before.
There's a time for compromise. It's called later.

Politically Correct;
A term used for Whiny, overly sensitive Pansies
who need everything Sugar- Coated for them.
md80captain

Post by md80captain »

I finally got my hands on some powder, not H110 unfortunately. I took my new boolit out to the range and tested it in my cobbled together AR pistol. I have previously fired this pistol with PSA 147gr reloads and Hornady VMAX 110gr + Barnes Vortex 110gr with no issues. I have also previously fired this boolit in my 30-06 bolt gun over surplus 7383 with surprisingly good results.
Not so good so far with the AR. I have included a video of my experience. I have concluded that my not going into battery issue was due to the bullet seated out too far. When determining my initial COAL I did not allow enough space from boolit ogive to throat. Unfortunately, due to the tight radius of the ogive I'm forced to seat the bullet further into the case, thus limiting my max powder charge to about 16 grains (4227) without compression. My initial load was 14.8 gr 4227 and a COAL of 1.93", The next load I'm trying will be 15.8 gr and 1.90 COAL. The other major issue I was having was feeding. Especially stripping out the first round. Does the short length of the cartridge have anything to do with it? Another possibility is the the small meplat on this boolit. Could that be hanging up on the ramp?
Here's the video of my first test: http://youtu.be/seUPeOjwIgk
john from md
Silent Operator

Post by john from md »

For your feeding problems, try magpul magazines they seem to be the most reliable for cast in the AR. As far as seating, I seat anywhere between 1.90 and 2.12 depending on whether I use PC or traditional bullets. I also run all my PC bullets through a .309 Lee die. The nose diameter is critical in the 300 BO as the chamber and lead is really cut for a jacketed .308 bullet.

Regards,

John
blueeyephil

Post by blueeyephil »

md80captain tried to watch your video but it says it's not available.
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

blueeyephil wrote:md80captain tried to watch your video but it says it's not available.
Same here.
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
SER
Silent But Deadly

Post by SER »

md80captain wrote:I finally got my hands on some powder, not H110 unfortunately. I took my new boolit out to the range and tested it in my cobbled together AR pistol. I have previously fired this pistol with PSA 147gr reloads and Hornady VMAX 110gr + Barnes Vortex 110gr with no issues. I have also previously fired this boolit in my 30-06 bolt gun over surplus 7383 with surprisingly good results.
Not so good so far with the AR. I have included a video of my experience. I have concluded that my not going into battery issue was due to the bullet seated out too far. When determining my initial COAL I did not allow enough space from boolit ogive to throat. Unfortunately, due to the tight radius of the ogive I'm forced to seat the bullet further into the case, thus limiting my max powder charge to about 16 grains (4227) without compression. My initial load was 14.8 gr 4227 and a COAL of 1.93", The next load I'm trying will be 15.8 gr and 1.90 COAL. The other major issue I was having was feeding. Especially stripping out the first round. Does the short length of the cartridge have anything to do with it? Another possibility is the the small meplat on this boolit. Could that be hanging up on the ramp?
Here's the video of my first test: http://youtu.be/seUPeOjwIgk
Try making up a couple of dummy rounds. Cycle them through the gun and check to make sure the M4 feed ramps are leaving marks on your rounds. I bought a lee mold recently hoping to use it for my M4. The ogive is wrong for the M4, but the bullets will still work in my Thompson Center.