Lee C312-155-2R

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

postban

Lee C312-155-2R

Post by postban »

Looking for loads, results and discussion of this mold for 300BLK. I will be PC and sizing to 0.311, ww alloy.
Wanting a supersonic all purpose load that uses less lead and gives me a decent 200yd trajectory from both my guns. Plan is to PC and try W296, Lil'gun, H110 and maybe a few others.
I already load the 230gr-309 for BLK subs. Tried a few super loads so far. Works better in my 16" 1:8 rifle than my 8" 1:7 pistol. I am seeing better results from the pistol after PC though, it showed yaw at 25yds after being stable in the slower twist rifle :roll:
Anyway a quick PC and we got round holes in the target again.

Pistol

Rifle
The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money
oldpapps
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lee C312-155-2R

Post by oldpapps »

All weapons and for the most part all loads will act better or worse in/with differing weapons/components. Now that was confused but read it again. Maybe it would make more sense as, 'They all be odd, one works good in one but not so good in nuther un'.

I treat 296 and H110 as being the same. However, for top pressure or on the edge, I start a little low and ease up when I change anything (powder lot, primer lot, bullets and case make/year).

From what you have stated, it sounds like you are doing great.

Now for me to not give advise but relate experiences.
I have found that I get higher velocities with 296/H110. Greater degree of accuracy with Lt'Gun. But my favored propellant you won't find, Olin 630. This observation is with 147 to 150 grain projectiles.
My pet bullet is the Lee C312-155-2R, with the mold shaved to remove the gas check and just a little more to produce a 130 grains of raw lead to coat with PBTP Clear and size to .311. This one does better, for me, with Lt'Gun. Just a tad faster than 296/H110, but not all that much. I have only tried one loading with Olin 630 and it did well, but I only have so much and went no further. 2400 operated well and topped out a little over 125 FPS slower.
These are my experiences with a 16 inch barrel running a carbine gas system and buffer. Take them for what they are worth and how much did you pay for them? Thought so :)

I don't have a shortie or shoot subs, so I am less than useless there.

Load with care and enjoy,

OSOK
postban

Post by postban »

Too funny, it was your comments on this mold at CB forum that helped me decide. Greatly appreciate the experience, advice and input.

So you chopped off the GC on this one to get a flat base? Interesting. Have you tried the 160gr Lee 312 tumble coat?
oldpapps
Silent But Deadly

Post by oldpapps »

I replied last night just before the board went down. Lost in the cyber fog.

Short response (something new for me), no, I have only used two leads in my 300 Black. My preferred cut down Lee and an old 180 grain round nose, drops at 176 grains with my hard alloy. This one didn't feed to my liking and I wasn't happy with it.

I think I will stay with the 130 grain cut down bullet for my lead use.

Enjoy,

OSOK
flyingrhino

Post by flyingrhino »

I'm using the same cast bullet, C312-155-2R. I powder coat, gas check and size to .309 with Lee push through sizer. 17.0 grains IMR4227, CCI450 primers, 2.054 OAL. Chrono'd average 1884 FPS from a 16" 8 twist bbl. first three shots from cold bbl on 50 yard target yielded one hole. Got a picture of the target if someone can tell me how to post it. Same load with Lee dies were all over the target. Had major concentricity issues. Bought the Forster Ultra mic two die set. Kept the Lee FCD. Was amazed at the result. This load is a keeper. Love the Forster dies. Next time out I'm going to stretch it out to 200 yards to see how it does.
postban

Post by postban »

Will probably load these tonight for some weekend testing. I have 309 and 311 sizers so planning two batches.
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

What color is that PC and where did you obtain it ?

Thanks for any info :!:
postban

Post by postban »

tedscissors wrote:What color is that PC and where did you obtain it ?

Thanks for any info :!:
John Deere Green and Purple shown. This shows an early attempt with the good powder, single coat. Last night the static in the house must have been high cuz it stuck on way better.

Powder from this guy, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... r-For-sale

I tried Harbor Freight red powder and it did not stick very well, powder above works way better and is actually cheaper with more choices.
BubbaJon
Silent But Deadly

Post by BubbaJon »

Anybody actually shot a critter with a PC boolit?
It would seem that it would not expand any.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Be mindful that Lil'Gun burns a bit hotter and can leave lead deposits in the chamber. I was a HUGE Lil'Gun fan until I had some lead get left behind, even when powder coated.

I have tried HF powders and they SUCK. But I really like Powder Buy The Pound. It doesn't go on too thick, even if you try, and gives a nice finish. I have also tried the DMC2 powder from Ebay and it works good but you can easily put way to much on. I have actually added like .006" to a bullet using the DMC2 powder in a single coat.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!