311 247Gr. FN Hollow Point Moulds

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: 311 247Gr. FN Hollow Point Moulds

Post by bangbangping »

Boosted98gsx wrote:I would REALLY like to see some expansion / terminal ballistic testing of these HP boolits!
I found a post where gds hollow pointed this bullet with a 1/8 bit. Worked well for him. viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86301
If you can wait a month or so I should be able to post up some dead pig pics.
Boosted98gsx
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boosted98gsx »

bangbangping wrote:
Boosted98gsx wrote:I would REALLY like to see some expansion / terminal ballistic testing of these HP boolits!
I found a post where gds hollow pointed this bullet with a 1/8 bit. Worked well for him. viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86301
I remember reading through that thread. Still, would like to see some ballistics gel tests.
NRA Life Member
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Boosted98gsx wrote:
bangbangping wrote:
I remember reading through that thread. Still, would like to see some ballistics gel tests.

Anyone willing to pony up the money for the Gel. I will gladly test it :mrgreen:

Seriously though. I have punched these thru a lot of wet packs. and My hollow point was actually shallower then I believe these can be cast with the modified mold.

Here are recovered one from a wet pack

here are some modfied Lee ones also recovered from wet pack

Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Too lazy and pressed for time for a proper test, I put one through some gallon water jugs. Twenty five yards, with a muzzle velocity of about 1000 fps. The back of the first jug was blown out, with evidence of expansion and/or tumbling. Jugs two and three were completely blown out, and the bullet stopped in number six.

The pic is the remainder of the bullet and the entry hole into #6. The hollow point section came off into at least two pieces judging by various exit holes.

I think this thing will work. Pig evidence soon.
Boosted98gsx
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boosted98gsx »

bangbangping wrote:Too lazy and pressed for time for a proper test, I put one through some gallon water jugs. Twenty five yards, with a muzzle velocity of about 1000 fps. The back of the first jug was blown out, with evidence of expansion and/or tumbling. Jugs two and three were completely blown out, and the bullet stopped in number six.

The pic is the remainder of the bullet and the entry hole into #6. The hollow point section came off into at least two pieces judging by various exit holes.

What was final weight after HP? How deep was the cavity?
NRA Life Member
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Boosted98gsx wrote:What was final weight after HP? How deep was the cavity?
I extended the pin pretty much all the way. That puts the HP about 6/10" deeps and shaves off about 15 grains.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

What alloy?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

yondering wrote:What alloy?
That's a good question without an easy answer. It's a mishmash to which I added tin and antimony...approximately equivalent to WW.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

bangbangping wrote:
yondering wrote:What alloy?
That's a good question without an easy answer. It's a mishmash to which I added tin and antimony...approximately equivalent to WW.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as you can keep it consistent.

You could try changing the alloy a bit to keep more of the expanded nose attached (if you want that). More pure lead, and maybe more tin, should help. Anything more than 1-2% antimony is counter-productive for hollowpoints, in my experience, making the alloy too brittle.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

bangbangping wrote:Too lazy and pressed for time for a proper test, I put one through some gallon water jugs. Twenty five yards, with a muzzle velocity of about 1000 fps. The back of the first jug was blown out, with evidence of expansion and/or tumbling. Jugs two and three were completely blown out, and the bullet stopped in number six.

I likey. that looks very much Like the results I had. I may have to break down and get the hollow point mold. a lot easier then drilling each one out.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in