Powder coat vs lube

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

S4570

Powder coat vs lube

Post by S4570 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 pm

I have been casting for 10 years. I have always used alox for my lube. I know have a 300 blk . I presume the lube could clog my gas port . I been thinking about powder coating where could i go to get good info on powder coating thanks

BulletFlight for Android
brutis
Silent Operator

Re: Powder coat vs lube

Post by brutis » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:28 am

Take a look at Full.Lead.Taco youtube channel

He shows how he does it in several of his video's.

GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 pm

It isn't lube you should be worried about going in your gas tube, it's vaporized lead. The DI-ish system in ARs basically vents out the charging handle on your upper lip. Not where you want vaporized lead. DS can tell you his stories on how well that works out.

Just go for dry tumble powder coat method, using quality powders. Don't waste time with junk powders.

Shake them or vibrate them. Sift them. Dump a pile of them on a rack and Bake them. Knock them off the rack while still hot. Your labor will be low and your results will be excellent. If you want max hardness out of your alloy, size them (if applicable) then run them in the oven back to 400f for 40 minutes and dump them all in a bucket of water. You now have max heat treat and all your bullets have the same hardness as eachother.

Every additional step beyond that is a waste of time. Don't stand them up. Don't mix bullets to have to sort them back out. Don't fiddle with BBs or harbor freight powder.
Unless baseball rituals help you shoot better. If that's the case, stand them up, and keep your lucky primer sleeve in your left shoe while shooting.

GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:40 pm

p.s. I used to use the 45/45/10 method which is basically improved Alox tumbling, and it worked well for me. There was a very marginal time advantage, so for a while I used both it and PC. Then I just quit using anything other than PC. It is clean and encapsulated, and cheap. Leading is almost impossible barring huge problems. Your dies and hands stay clean, and it doesn't attract abrasive dirt. Loose Alox ammo always seems to be grimy, if you have noticed. Also no smoke other than the powder smoke.

You won't look back.