Perfect 300 BO Cast Boolit

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

45r
Silent But Deadly

Re: Perfect 300 BO Cast Boolit

Post by 45r »

The 240EZ design on accurate molds catalog looks very good.
For hollow points I'd think that a secant or truncated cone starting at where the bore-rider ends would make it easier for the HP to open up.
Bench Rest designs like the 30Egan have a truncated cone and often win in cast bullet matches.
Yugnat

Post by Yugnat »

There are already plenty of good subsonic designs.
The sweet spot for a new supersonic design would be 160-170 grains, it seems to be the most effective with the more energy output. And it could possibly be used for major factor in practical shooting. There are no really good design in that range for powder coated bullets.

Here is a sketch I made, I think it should be short of 170 grains. I don't know if the flat is wide enough for the hollow point option?

I hope this gets enough interest to get a discussion group buy. Bluejay are you still there?
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

I think the desired meplat for a HP option is about .20 so it would not be hard to get your design there.
bluejay75

Post by bluejay75 »

I’m thinking you’re going to need less diameter from the nose to full diameter. .295-.298 for an unsupported nose design. Will feed better coated.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I'm testing the 31-168C from accurate. It's a PB I did for 30/30 but it feeds well from Lancer mags and shoots good. I use the same base design as the 142C - easy to seat, works better than bevel base and easy to see the keepers. Honkin big meplat. Hiney shot on a 125# running pig from 10" pistol (blood but no pig) with the GC 31-184C version. Was going to test while back in the carbine @ 100 but the Nikon messed up. decent group - off paper. Got another to send back. Haven't chronied yet but assume 1600. Got some target pics but photobucket is gone for me.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

What I would like would be a bullet which comes out to ~120 grains in linotype or similar alloy. It should be for powder coat. Flat base and have a long secant nose profile similar to something like the barns SST with the last milimeter clipped off the point. It should have as much bearing surface as you can make for the portion behind the nose profile. Optimally it would drop at about .310

This would feed and have a BC similar to the SS target ammo we like, but would not be quite so pointy as to be easily damaged in feeding or under acceleration.

I would really love that in a magma pattern mold.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Yugnat wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:55 pm There are already plenty of good subsonic designs.
The sweet spot for a new supersonic design would be 160-170 grains, it seems to be the most effective with the more energy output. And it could possibly be used for major factor in practical shooting. There are no really good design in that range for powder coated bullets.

Here is a sketch I made, I think it should be short of 170 grains. I don't know if the flat is wide enough for the hollow point option?

I hope this gets enough interest to get a discussion group buy. Bluejay are you still there?
I have a fairly similar bullet, and it feeds if you get the length just right. However, I think your design would want to interfere with magpul ribs, and would tend to catch on the feedramp. This caliber likes to be sleek for feeding.
glutton

Post by glutton »

This caliber likes to be sleek for feeding

Well said. Right after my first reloading experiments, I happened on a box of Hornady 110Gr SP's. They were fairly inexpensive and I thought this was going to be my cheaper short range plink ammo. Made a sample batch using the best load data I could find. The SP's are a stubbier bullet, but my first dead rounds all hand cycled manually with the charging handle, but with live rounds I got double feeds. Apparently, pointy is better than stubby in my rifle.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Using a 31-142D now, smooth sided, BLL lube, GC with 50/50 WW/Pb. Shoots touching @ 50, rx7,H110, ~2k fps. Actually 145-150 gives best energy for BO, much heavier and they are slowing down. Lighter and they need to punch through by fps.
No need for lino in a bullet!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:49 pm The Lee 230 is a great bullet once you put a coating on it. Without coating it I, like many, had nothing but problems. Once I started coating them they worked really well. Not as well as my bullet but they worked well enough.
i seem to recall that there were a lot of issues with gas cutting due to the BT... but i could be misremembering it... its been a couple years since i did any homework on the lee 230.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.