lee c312-150

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

georgerc

lee c312-150

Post by georgerc »

I bought this mold because so many reported good results with I loaded up some at 2" col as I have seen reported and guess what, wont chamber, loaded them at the crimp groove and some would some would not, on some that chambered the case pulled out, the bullet stayed, surprisingly it hardly took any effort at all getting them out, was expecting them to be jammed up in there, so I took a crude measurement off my chamber using a rod and a bullet, and I came up with 1.900" touching the rifling I assume, I have read reports of of others loading these up to 2.050" what is going on here? do I have an unbelivable small throat on this chamber? its a bear creek barrel by the way,

not sure how I feel about loading these that short, never mind trying those subsonics, not that I'm into that.
best I can tell just by looking into it the freebore is only about 1/8" maybe 3/16", which is pretty tipical 0.150" there is no way these bullets can be loaded up to 2.050, do you guys have chambers with a freebore of a half inch or something?

i tried to look into it and came up empty have not seen this mentioned anywhere but for this chamber I'm looking at about 1.850" for this boolit, don't think I saw that anywhere, what do you think?
RKB731

Re: lee c312-150

Post by RKB731 »

Are you referring to the LEE 312-155? I have been shooting these powder coated loaded to an OAL of 2.035". Loaded with either Lil'Gun or W296 I get a little over 2000 fps and groups measuring around 2" @ 100 yards. I size to .311". I'm going to size some to .309" and see if I can tighten the groups up somewhat.
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
DAFzipper

Post by DAFzipper »

I'm with you, Nothing but problems for me. Gave up on it for now. May try nose sizing them but don't want to spend the time for plinking rounds.
nofairweather

Post by nofairweather »

I am having similar problems with the Lee 312-160-2r. A couple guys on you tube seemed to have good results with the 150 and 160gr powder coated so I tried the 160. I have to load them at 1.985 to get them to cycle. That is much shorter than normal. I shot ladder loads starting low going to max and watching for pressure signs.
All cycled and fed. All smoked like crazy even up to max (used CFE BLK). I am confused by all the smoke at higher charges. Couldn't keep them on paper.
I may try gas checks next.
If that doesn't work I may modify the mold to remove the narrow end for gas check.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

nofairweather wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:21 am I am having similar problems with the Lee 312-160-2r. A couple guys on you tube seemed to have good results with the 150 and 160gr powder coated so I tried the 160. I have to load them at 1.985 to get them to cycle. That is much shorter than normal. I shot ladder loads starting low going to max and watching for pressure signs.
All cycled and fed. All smoked like crazy even up to max (used CFE BLK). I am confused by all the smoke at higher charges. Couldn't keep them on paper.
I may try gas checks next.
If that doesn't work I may modify the mold to remove the narrow end for gas check.
One of CFE BLK's greatest attributes is smoke and gas, I don't think they charge extra for it so just sit back and enjoy it, or get a decent powder.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.