Bullet mold for subsonic powder coated bullets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

excess650
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bullet mold for subsonic powder coated bullets

Post by excess650 »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
I would suggest looking at Arsenal molds as well. I have used a lot of NOE molds and Arsenal makes a more consistent mold but they may not have what you are looking for. It is also rumored that Arsenal makes, or at least made, some of the molds NOE sells.

Those are the folks who made the moulds before NOE got their own machines. The ONLY NOE I've had an issue with was a 311331 (218gr RN) made by those folks. The replacement was made by NOE and no problems with it.

The good thing about Accurate is they can make you a single, one off, mold and have it in your hands within a few weeks. No other manufacturer can do that or at least do it as cheaply as Tom does at Accurate.

Be aware that AM doesn't make designs with meplats under .18". That will be an issue if you're shooting an AR.

Also, avoid the temptation to buy a 3, 4 or 5 cavity mold. The most I use is a 2 cavity. The reason is as the mold heats up there can be some variation between molds. With a two cavity those variations seem to go away.
BEST consistency will be with a single cavity mould. That said, the makers have improved considerably, and the lathe bored moulds can be VERY consistent from cavity to cavity. I always buy 4 cavity when I buy NOE, and they are very consistent.

If you can get by with 200gr, try a 311299, 311644, or Saeco 301 (or clone).
Black Rifles Matter
DutchNinja

Post by DutchNinja »

Accurate 31-240A has worked great for me with PC. got about a thousand down range, very accurate.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 240A-D.png
Atlas Shrug

Post by Atlas Shrug »

OK I was totally consumed with life for the past seven months, and I’m just now coming back to restart my project.

Thanks for the prior suggestions. Anything new not previously mentioned?
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

The 31-240EZ looks real good to me for a good PC mold.
It would work well the way it's shown with no changes.
It should feed well also.
The fat nose wedge design like the 240-A can be hard to get feeding 100% without some fine tuning.