done with cast subs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

rem7mag
Silent Operator

done with cast subs

Post by rem7mag »

well, i just spent the last hour and a half cleaning my suppressor for my 300BK

it was clean before i went to the range today, and after about 250 cast powder coated subs, i don't see the point in continuing using them...

i need to soda or charcoal blast the inside of the tube tomorrow to get the remaining lead out... a suppressor that used to slide out, had to be beat out tonight

with jacketed subs, it comes apart, gets soaked in my mason jar of sweets bore solvent, wiped off, and lightly lubed and put back together....

i get sub moa groups with jacketed, and softball size groups with cast... it just isn't worth it for the time i have to spend cleaning anymore...
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: done with cast subs

Post by plant.one »

what bullets were you using? was it a commercial PC or something you did at home?

can you give us more load details?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

I've heard there are a few powder combinations that can cause leading. I've had not problems with any leading with my 7.5 inch and form 1 suppressor.
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

My jacketed subs pretty much sit on the powder and function great with good accuracy. Do that with cast bullets and I get flame cutting, ultra poor accuracy, a shiny lead coated flash hider and lead in my suppressor. Two coats of PC, loaded to a longer COAL and a mellower powder (say IMR4227 instead of A1680) and that all went away and the groups tightened up like they should. Gas checks and/or 2 coats of PC also solved most of the leading for me in a short COAL, but I never got the accuracy and it sure was a hassle. I still do the two thin coats of PC mostly because I like the consistency and appearance. but also because I've seen it resists leading better. The longer COAL meant abandoning my GI magazines to prevent the binding and regain reliability. I don't like not being able to use any magazine, but being able to shoot 300 Blk for same price as a box of 22 rimfire sure makes up for it. I hope you can get it worked out. Good luck.
rem7mag
Silent Operator

Post by rem7mag »

plant.one wrote:what bullets were you using? was it a commercial PC or something you did at home?

can you give us more load details?

13gn of 4227 (lowest that will cycle my AR.. and it was my powder coat.... the same ones we do our commercial cast pistol bullets with

no leading in the barrel, just a bunch of spatter in the suppressor... for the accuracy to be mediocre it just isn't worth it...

i think the problem with it is as the suppressor heats up the spatter gets thrown to the tube walls and makes the suppressor harder to come apart... there wasn't any lead on the monocore baffles, just on the tube walls...

i don't mind working for it if the accuracy is there, but i will pay for jacketed because the group size shrinks by 1.750 inch for the same load
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

That's a lot of powder...

Flame cutting is the death of accuracy. If your seeing any lead in your can, you have it.

Every setup is different, but:

8.3" barrel, 0.093 port, H2 buffer, Springco White/Red Intermediate spring ... SiCo Omega. (New gas rings and recoil springs do drag more)

237gr NOE 311-230, garbage lead, with 2 thin coats of PBTP RAL6018, shake and baked with excess tapped off. Heavy and/or uneven coats can stick in the chamber throat. Sized to 0.310, expanded to 0.309, seated to 2.110 OAL, 10.6gr A1680 @ 1010fps or 9.5gr IMR4227 @ 994fps, I'm using up my Magtech 7 1/2 primers right now. The IMR4227 is softer and quieter than than the A1680. The A1680 function is more positive but louder. Both function well with LRBHO suppressed. Mag dump reliability. Accuracy is almost comparable with jacketed if I weigh and sort but not sub MOA like my supers are. Zero leading and no crude but I saw plenty getting to this point.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Tell you what, for the home user it really is hard to be PBTP. Been using it for years and love the stuff. Easy to go on, compared to most others, and doesn't stack up on the bullet. I bought a pound of PBTP and I am still nursing on it from years ago. Very miserly powder as well.

What size are your bullets?

Any of the bullets have a boat tail?

That is a HOT subsonic load, not dangerous but definitely supersonic. What velocity?
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
rem7mag
Silent Operator

Post by rem7mag »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Tell you what, for the home user it really is hard to be PBTP. Been using it for years and love the stuff. Easy to go on, compared to most others, and doesn't stack up on the bullet. I bought a pound of PBTP and I am still nursing on it from years ago. Very miserly powder as well.

What size are your bullets?

Any of the bullets have a boat tail?

That is a HOT subsonic load, not dangerous but definitely supersonic. What velocity?

245gn from a lee mold that i had a friend mill the mold to take out the boat tail, bullets are sized to .310... they are flat bottom now... .311 won't feed in my AR, and they crony at 980 to 1090

recovered bullet has all the powder coat burned off the base of the bullet and bare lead that shows signs of melting... the sides of the bullet have no lead exposed and the powder coat has stayed on... the same powder we used at Lucky13 Cast Bullets to coat all of our bullets... so i don't think gas cutting is the problem... and i can't drop the charge any more as it won't cycle the gun..

1680 did the same thing
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

FWIW,

Suppressors are legitimately"self cleaning" when used with high power center fire rifle cartridges.
To get my sealed suppressors squeaky clean, I run a couple mags of .308 Win or 5.56 NATO depending on the can I'm cleaning.
The High Heat / High Pressure cartridges dislodge and eject any fouling that may have accumulated.
I have validated this using a video bore scope and even lead is removed after sufficient high power rounds are fired.

Touchy subject, but suppressor cleaning is only necessary in specific circumstances.
(ex. pistol and rimfire rated cans.)
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

Makes me think of the time I shot 380ACP in my 9mm Makarov...pufisttttt...

I have that LEE die. Mine was throwing bullets as small as .308 so I just thru it in a box and bought another brand. Never shot a single one.

Wish I could help.