Update to NOE 247 HP

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

xdmalder
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Update to NOE 247 HP

Post by xdmalder »

threehundred wrote:
xdmalder wrote:Received my new NOE mold and finally got to do some testing with it. The new pins are wider but at the same depth of the orginals. I cast them COWW and water dropped them. Test firing it went through three 1 gallon milk jugs and into a 5 gallon bucket of mud. Bullet weighed 225 grains cast. The nose fragmented and the shank remained 169 grains. I'm am pretty happy with the results.

I am very interested in what velocity you loaded these to, thanks.
1050 fps. Loaded with 8.3 grains of Accurate #9 with a COAL of 2.066"
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by threehundred »

xdmalder wrote:
threehundred wrote:
xdmalder wrote:Received my new NOE mold and finally got to do some testing with it. The new pins are wider but at the same depth of the orginals. I cast them COWW and water dropped them. Test firing it went through three 1 gallon milk jugs and into a 5 gallon bucket of mud. Bullet weighed 225 grains cast. The nose fragmented and the shank remained 169 grains. I'm am pretty happy with the results.

I am very interested in what velocity you loaded these to, thanks.
1050 fps. Loaded with 8.3 grains of Accurate #9 with a COAL of 2.066"

Thank you!
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

xdmalder wrote:
yondering wrote:For hunting you don't necessarily need or want the nose to stay together. A bit of fragmentation can be a good thing, as long as it doesn't fragment too early and cause a shallow wound.

If you're testing in water jugs especially, I'd expect and look for nose fragmentation. Water is a worst-case scenario for this type of bullet and will cause more expansion & fragmentation than an actual animal.
What kind of media would you suggest for testing expansion for best simulation. Wet paper pack?
Wrong question. You don't get a good simulation of a real shot on game, other than actually shooting animals.

What you can do is use a medium that roughly simulates some part of an animal, whether that's wet pack, water jugs, ox bones, or whatever, and use that to compare one bullet to another. If you understand the differences between your media and what the bullet might do on game, like I described with water jugs above, you can draw some correlations that are useful.

Good bullet testing conclusions don't say "this bullet will do xxx on game", they provide a comparison against known good bullets, which is used to make a judgement call on what we think it might do on game.