Group buy interest for 2 powder coat designs?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

45r
Silent But Deadly

Re: Group buy interest for 2 powder coat designs?

Post by 45r »

A long cast bullet should have at least 60 percent of it's length supported.
If you move the slight bore rider portion forward around .100 with a .307 to .306 taper following the shank it would probably be a little better at aligning the bullet straight also.
The reason the 311247 shoots well is because of the long bearing surface and long bore-rider.
The long bore-rider centers and supports the bullet when chambered.
I'd like to see a cast bullet like the Noe 311365 that has TL grooves and 40 grains added to the nose with the pointed tip lopped off to a flat nose.
I've got good accuracy from it but the nose is too short.
It seats deep but that gets the base close to the powder charge which helps in lowering ES.
Last edited by 45r on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Also, we are producing two bore rider designs. One is based on the Accurate 240-E except without the lube grooves.

My design, that is also a bore rider, has some tricks done to it to help accuracy and so far accuracy seems better than a typical cast bullet. And that was with a hand cast test mold. Once we start producing them using a machine they will be a lot more consistent and consistency leads to accuracy. My heavy bullet is going to weigh 265 grains using 92-6-2.

Is there any other bullet designs for the 300 Blackout you would like to see? The manufacturer is adding a 30 caliber line so if anyone has a wish list let me know and I will see what I can do to bring it to market.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

I would like to expound on a few things as well. Lube groves are not your friend if you are shooting with a silencer. The reason is they fly through the air with a lot more noise than those without lube grooves.

I cast a bunch of 311365 with the lube grooves. When I loaded them and shot them I thought I had a baffle strike because of the noise it made. It sounded just like the bullet was flying sideways because of all the wind resistance and the only thing that would cause that was the lube grooves. And wind resistance will affect ballistics, especially as weather conditions change. The wind flowing past the lube grooves is what was causing the noise.

When I first shot a bullet designed to be coated I was amazed at how quiet it flew compared to a bullet with lube grooves. With lube grooves and you can hear it fly but without lube grooves the bullet is quieter.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

With the Noe 311247 I wish the front band tapered .307 to .306 so it could be seated farther into the throat.
I can't get the front band into the throat on my Seekins 10.5 inch barrel because it has a tighter chamber but it is very accurate with J-words.
That is one of the cast bullet needs for accuracy.
Fill the throat.
With the 200 grain bullet if it had a .307 to .306 taper around .100 to .120 past the .310 shank it would fill the throat better.
The Noe 311365 could use a .307 to .306 taper ahead of the shank to seat farther out and fill the throat better.
Glad you mentioned the lube grooves making more noise.
Wonder if there is a way to have them removed without messing up the cavity.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

45r wrote:With the Noe 311247 I wish the front band tapered .307 to .306 so it could be seated farther into the throat.
I can't get the front band into the throat on my Seekins 10.5 inch barrel because it has a tighter chamber but it is very accurate with J-words.
That is one of the cast bullet needs for accuracy.
Fill the throat.
With the 200 grain bullet if it had a .307 to .306 taper around .100 to .120 past the .310 shank it would fill the throat better.
The Noe 311365 could use a .307 to .306 taper ahead of the shank to seat farther out and fill the throat better.
Glad you mentioned the lube grooves making more noise.
Wonder if there is a way to have them removed without messing up the cavity.

The bullet based on the 240-E is going to be like your 247 except without the lube grooves. The nose of the 265 will have a taper to it, it allows the loader to tailor the OAL to their individual rifle. At the shortest length the bullet will be ~.040" off the lands. From there you have over an 1/8" of throat for you to jam as much of the bullet into the lands as you want. The taper also centers the bullet in the bore which seems to improve accuracy as well. Our nose has a very specific taper to it to give the reloader some flexibility because not all guns are chambered alike.

We will not be producing a version of the 311365. We have ran into some manufacturing problems so we are looking for another manufacturer currently.

There are plenty of people who can remove the lube grooves from the mold.

Do you cast?
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Yes I cast.
Got the Noe 311247 ,311365,and 311414 gascheck for 300blk.
Been casting for a long time for Marlins and SS rifle also.
They shoot best slightly engraved.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

My throat on my 10.5 inch seekins barrel finally broke in enough to seat the Noe 311247 to 2.240 sized .310 to fill the .173 free bore well enough to shoot 1 inch at 75 yards over Imr 4227.
It's a very tight fit and I pull the mag on my last shot so I don't have to eject a sticky live round.
I think I can run the shank of your mold design into the throat now and if there is enough bore rider to keep the bullet straight when chamberd it should shoot just as well.
Your heavy bullet sounds good.
Is Noe going to run them this spring.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

My bullet will not be available through NOE. It will be available but not before we get all the testing done. We are getting really close.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
twcrowe12
Silent But Deadly

Post by twcrowe12 »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:My bullet will not be available through NOE. It will be available but not before we get all the testing done. We are getting really close.

I'm excited to see what your design can do.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Dolomite. I designed the 31-142C for PC, 145gr. PB I run 2100 fps in a 1:10 18" carbine with 1-1/2 MOA, isocore & PC. Long bands fit into the throat and never hit the lands. With a long bore ride section, they won't feed well without scraping the coating. I use the same basic bullet in the 308w gc'd top 2700 fps, slightly more accurate. Unless it is a really heavy built, you can't fil the throat correctly or jam the lands, best you can do is fill the free bore with drive band.