Lead rings? Here's why

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Lead rings? Here's why

Post by Dolomite_Supafly » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 am

I have seen various posts over the years talking about lead rings. The reason is the brass is not long enough for the chamber when shooting cast bullets. The bullets will get shaved by the chamber edge or just get squished to fill the gap.

The picture above is a gap between the brass and the step in the chamber that the case mouth should be closer to. This barrel never had a lead ring issue because of the champfer but some barrels have a 90 degree edge which I believe shaves off the lead or coating as it passes and what gets shaved off fills that gap.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!

BulletFlight for Android
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lead rings? Here's why

Post by Bob the nailer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:16 pm

As always excellent information!
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:07 pm

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 am
This barrel never had a lead ring issue because of the champfer but some barrels have a 90 degree edge which I believe shaves off the lead or coating as it passes and what gets shaved off fills that gap.
I believe this is even more important than the length of the brass. I'm fighting a barrel right now that will shave anything sized over .308, even with brass that's trimmed to 1.368. My guess (hasn't been fully proven) is that the powder matters, too. More chance of a ring with higher pressures.

By the way, what scope are you using? That's a great photo.

45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Fire-lapping will usually take care of the issue and has increased accuracy for me.
I use soft lead bullets that fill the throat impregnated with 320 grit grease rolled between 2 strips of iron plate.
Then load the bullets over just enough powder to make sure they get out the barrel.
6 to 700 fps will work well.
AR's need the gas block turned upside down to keep the grit out of the gas system.
I got a kit from beartooth bullets years ago and he has write ups about doing it in more detail.